Chroma-Q Scroller Barndoors

ojno

Has anyone here used barndoors with Chroma-Q Plus scrollers? Chroma-Q lists a "Set of 3 Composite Barndoor Tabs" as an accessory for their scrollers - what are these? Are they actual barndoors, or tabs which create a slot for them, and if so, what size?

Thanks

I have. Its a set of brackets that creates a 7.5" gel frame on the scroller (at least thats what I think the size is, not in front of my scrollers...) By the way, when you do use all of these devices on there, make sure to crank down on the tilt knob, as whatever you just stuck it on is know very front heavy.

And don't forget a safety cable for each device, preferably each attached to the mounting position, not to the yoke or each other.

Thanks for the info.

I do always safety everything, but everything has up till now not included gel frames and barndoors. On a scroller where there's no catch or clip in the top of the holder I would, but is it considered good practice to safety every gel frame etc too? :neutral:

Thanks for the info.

I do always safety everything, but everything has up till now not included gel frames and barndoors. On a scroller where there's no catch or clip in the top of the holder I would, but is it considered good practice to safety every gel frame etc too? :neutral:

As long as your instruments have the fourth clip there is no need to safety the gel frame. Anything other than that (like an Altman 360Q) wouldn't hurt in having a safetied gel frame if the unit is hung facing straight down, or close to it. If the instrument is hung upright I don't see the need for a safety cable on the gel frame. Just make sure your yoke bolts are tight. For any instrument without the fourth clip, it might be a good idea to look into cardboard gel frames anyway. That way in the event that they fall, at least they won't do any damage to a patron or company member's head.

If there is no fourth clip, always safety cable barndoors. Same goes for tophats, halfhats, gel extenders, etc. I think there was a thread on this somewhere where the barndoors fell out and damaged the floor. Could have been worse, so barndoors get a safety. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to safety barndoors even with the fourth clip, really.

Anything heavy in the iris slot (such as a gobo rotator, film f/x, Rosco ImagePro, iris, etc) should also get a dedicated safety cable. Gobo holders can usually be held in pretty tight by sliding the gobo slot cover as much as you can into the closed position, thus clamping the holder in place. Again, it's one of those "when in doubt" situations. Some lights (like the Strand SL) even had slots in this door which allowed the door to close completely with a gobo holder installed.

Last edited:
In our theaters, we don't safety the gel frames on the Altmans... we just bend one of the corners so we need a pair of pliers to get them out.

I know, we're bad people. :)

I've worked in at least one theatre that had their color frames permanently safetied to their 360Qs. PITA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back