Church lighting needs

Cadace Johnson

I'm a volunteer in charge of helping a church modernize their sanctuary. They currently use a dying laptop running an old version of Elation software, but it belongs to a private individual, and they want to have their own system. They have virtually no budget however, maybe $500 at the end of the day. I've tried to talk them higher, but they're out of money right now for major purchases. They have a handful of simple LED lights, and a few PAR56s, and everything is run by non-expert volunteers.

I know I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

I'd like to get them on a simple dimmer for the PARS. Is there a low end portable that would work, that someone could recommend?

I'm really having a hard time with getting a controller. I know a laptop would give the most options, but they don't have one or money for it, and they have concerns about volunteers, and they'd prefer a physical console. I looked at the Elation Stage Setter, with the thought that they can program the Chase buttons for a few simple scenes ("rehearsal" "worship" "sermon"). 24 channels doesn't get very far though. Any other recommendations?

I did call a local theater retailer, but they wouldn't really recommend anything below $1000. Guitar Center will recommend stuff, but they don't usually give very good lighting advice.

On that budget, and using LEDs, you are almost better with a fixture based controller such as a Chauvet Obey 70 http://www.chauvetdj.com/products/obey-70/
You could set up about 230 scenes (if memory serves me right) and it gives you access to 384 DMX channels, all for about $150 .
Each "fixture" button controls a block of channels, so one might be set to go to the dimmer pack, another might go to each of your LEDs etc.

I have a small Obey 40 which I use with LED PARs at church. Small, simple and very affordable- especially in the interim until funds become available for an upgrade.

Better to start small than not at all!

I'd throw LightFactory in the mix as well. It's PC-based and can run on anything. They have a deal that includes the USB-DMX dongle with a limited number of fixture and desk channels that is pretty economical. There is a relatively steep learning curve with the software since it has been adapted for all sorts of productions, but it can be set up to run very simply and be very user-friendly. I'd recommend looking into a Korg NanoKontrol2 as a physical fader board as well. It interfaces with MIDI and works very well with LF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back