Conventional Fixtures circular gels: how to cut them (quickly)

Perhaps I've missed a previous thread on this subject, but I have searched to no avail...

Does anyone have any good tricks for mass-producing circular gels? We have a nice, big paper cutter that handles all our straight cuts, but I wonder if there's an equivalent for circles. Or are we stuck awkwardly going around with scissors?

Thank you.

I typically cut octagons with the paper cutter type board and that works for 99% of circular frames for spotlights

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4

I've been threatening for thirty years to invent some sort of bow/beam compass with suction cup in the center and knife blade on the circumference for 9'' diameter Super Trouper cuts. Feel free to run with and flesh out this idea. If you get it working send me one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I've been threatening for thirty years to invent some sort of bow/beam compass with suction cup in the center and knife blade on the circumference for 9'' diameter Super Trouper cuts. Feel free to run with and flesh out this idea. If you get it working send me one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Hmmm, seems like you would need a swivel blade on one end, and a weighted suction cup stand in the middle for a pivot.

Wooden disk (like Masonite) that is the right diameter. Simply lay it on the gel sheet and go around the edge with a box-cutter.
(Metal has a habit of messing up the blade.)

Hello again Mr. Greenia!

Long ago, for at least a decade, I was cutting 'SuperCircles' by taking a 10" square cut and pinning it down to the 'right place' on our venue's 24" wide color cutter. Spin the color with the light touch of one finger while simultaneously frantically chopping the cutter's handle like a mad chef slicing carrots or whatever. I ended up with a perfect circle with a tiny pin-hole in its exact center and a pile of finely chopped slivers of color that easily brushed off the cutting board directly into a convenient, hand held, garbage pail.

The tiny center hole was never a problem, the circular cuts were stored in a neat file in the middle of the four spot suite. Travelling shows came and went. The colors were used and filed over and over until they began showing evidence of bleaching out.

Over the years, the pin-hole in the surface of the cutting board grew larger and deeper.
We used to keep a couple of colored plastic push piins stuck in the cutter's upper edge conveniently available for use.
A second pin-hole in the table's surface made quick work of cutting 8-sided cuts for Ianiro 2K Bambino's.

Nice chatting with you again Mr. Greenia!

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back