Vintage Lighting Classic Distribution Panel from a 1927 theatre

In a theatre I volunteer at built in 1927, we just had the misfortune of a pipe bursting in the floor above the old distribution panel and it get water damaged and the last few circuits routed through it had to be bypassed from the old beast I've always called the "Frankenstein Panel". All I know of it is that its a Ward Leonard. So its now dead and I thought I would share some pics I took of this the other day. Due to its location it was impossible to get a shot of the WHOLE panel in one shot. Oh, I should probably tell you where its located. Its located in a theater now called the Rhode Center for the Arts in Kenosha, WI. but when it was built in 1927 it was known as The Gateway Theater then in 1963, renamed The Lake Theater.

Anyone know of a way to find out more information about this antique?

So here is a link to a photo set I posted on Flickr. Old Rhode distribution panel - a set on Flickr

Last edited:
That is a sweet old monster! When we got rid of ours we got over $2000 out of the coper alone that we could put toward the new dimmer panel. I would love to have seen that in action!

I have been puzzling over that label myself for the entire past 5 years I have been volunteering there. Unfortunately there is no one around anymore that can explain that label or what it might have meant. Best guess it was the switch for the power in a bathroom at some point in time? Otherwise I am stumped! But yeah, that is a sweet beast. I wish I could have seen it in operation as well. Over the years, most of it has been bypassed except a few circuits going to power in some dressing rooms.

We are currently pondering what to do with it now. Yeah its nifty to look at but practicality calls for removal to utilize the space better. Its just what to do with it, scrap it out? See if there might be a market for it as a museum piece or some other such thing?

It's too bad you weren't closer id take it. They do / did have toilets that are electric that'll literally incinerate the crap out of your crap.

Electrics (as in outlets/lights) in the bathroom. I've been a lot of places that just have signs that say "TOILET"

What a strange place to control them from.

Copper value is probably up there, but first, I would email a bunch of museums and see if anyone wants it. What a great piece of history! Would be a shame to see it dumpster bound!

Send it to American Restoration on the History Channel they'd restore that sucker back to its primetime.

I'm having trouble viewing the link. I think the .kr domain may be blocked at work. Is there a different way I can view the picture? I love looking at old equipment like the panel you have described!

Wow, that is a neat panel! Too bad you can't save it, but I realize it would be impractical. At least you were able to photograph it. Thanks for sharing!

Wow, that is a neat panel! Too bad you can't save it, but I realize it would be impractical. At least you were able to photograph it. Thanks for sharing!

Man, I would save that for when you need to do a haunted house!

Man, I would save that for when you need to do a haunted house!

Well, we were looking at doing a haunted house thing in the next year or 2. So far, its not going anywhere. I think the overall feeling is to pass it to a museum or something similar then just scrapping it out for scrap metal and copper. I will definitely update this thread when I find out the status.

The wiring in that thing makes my lungs itch. Asbestos! Beware!

Yea, good reason not to take it out or move it. Whatever you do, don't clean it out with a shop vac! If it is going to be removed, they are going to have to deal with (remove) the wiring. At that point, it would make a fine museum piece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back