Clay Paky Sharpy

For theatre, I agree completely. However, for concert lighting, I think that a fixture meant to create beams through haze is quite useful. It allows you to create tight-beam effects that weren't as easily achieved before. Also with the saturate colors the Sharpy can achieve, I think it could be used to light talent possibly as a backlight.

Musical theatre excepting (IMO) but only in particular circumstances.

Last edited:
They did a test on Spansets and the burn time was lengthy, like 5 hours.
try one... at 3 feet, which is still a lot of time on something that probably shouldn't be lit but it could still be possible for a careless LD to cause an accident.

Am testing an Osram version of the Philips lamp also - not designed for the use but plays nice with it so far. Got one of two back recently but the roadie's were too busy to fill in lamp hours appairently.

That was our first version which was designed for us on our ballast, but could work with varying success on the other fella's.

Newest version (in stock Globally in a few weeks!) is called the SIRIUS HRI 190+ , and IS designed for use in Sharpys and other fixtures currently using the 5R. I'll have samples next week and make sure I get you a few. These we are completely confident in as replacements, and they have a great lumen maintenance I am told. Anyone with movers using the 5R, please give us a try. We think you'll be very happy! :)

Mark

try one... at 3 feet, which is still a lot of time on something that probably shouldn't be lit but it could still be possible for a careless LD to cause an accident.

I really like this article. It shows the lengths that companies can go to deny warranty responsibility. Love it.

That was our first version which was designed for us on our ballast, but could work with varying success on the other fella's.

Newest version (in stock Globally in a few weeks!) is called the SIRIUS HRI 190+ , and IS designed for use in Sharpys and other fixtures currently using the 5R. I'll have samples next week and make sure I get you a few. These we are completely confident in as replacements, and they have a great lumen maintenance I am told. Anyone with movers using the 5R, please give us a try. We think you'll be very happy! :)

Mark

Of the two in stock, one came back amongst a bunch of 5R that got changed without the "professionals" on site noting lamp hours thus probably not reseting them either. Suspect it lasted around an average 1K time from memory. The other prototype is still out there somewhere around the world and appairently still playing nice with the other lamp. If reall wanted I can further track what fixture it was installed in and what show it is on by fixure number, than inquire with the crew chief. All computer stuff I and others normally fly our desk jobs with in finding out.

Yea, give me a try for the upgrade, as I harped about... it's more a 1,000hr lamp the 5R at best, and that's normal as opposed to antiquated stuff like the MSD 250 that's like up to 3,000 hour at this point I think? Main point isn't pice or hours, just a realistic account of I see these rejected lamps daily in bulk and the lamp hours of the fixture should not be a realistic expectation. Other than that, very popular fixture etc. have a few hundred in stock at this point I think. If the HRI 190+ lasts longer or not moot point, send me the specs in the morning, none the less price point and dependability balances with price.

Not a bad lamp... very hard for me to magnifying glass figure out the failure point for - my problem in tossing them if I see a slight cloud, any way on the other hand if it's from the reflector to clean it in trying again if globe seems ok? New type of lamp to be inspecting for me.

I really like this article. It shows the lengths that companies can go to deny warranty responsibility. Love it.

Believe gauge of wire in daisy chainging Powercon stuff is a different topic before posted. And I always use 12ga as per rated for the breakers.

As a lighting student trained in the McCandless Method, it's difficult for me to reconcile beamage --light for lights' sake. To put luminaire s on a plot for the sole purpose of lighting air or haze, instead of talent or scenery, just seems wasteful. But IF I'm going to "waste" light, I'd rather it be a 189W Sharpy as opposed to a 5- or 7kW Syncrolite.

I feel like thats kind of thin. Lighting the talent or scenery could be considered wasteful as well if the lighting of them does not contribute to the story of the play...

I have noticed when watching live music events on TV (The Voice, SNL, etc.) that the "Sharpy" by Clay Paky has become a pretty dominant lighting instrument in the rigs I've seen.

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts and opinions were on these lights? What makes them so apparently desired in concert venues these days? I see them EVERYWHERE lately...

We have Clay Paky Sharpies, did a Google search of just our area and loads of companies have them (http://goo.gl/Ko38Kg). They are amazing bits of kit and are pretty much a necessity in all of our shows now.

We have Clay Paky Sharpies, did a Google search of just our area and loads of companies have them (http://goo.gl/Ko38Kg). They are amazing bits of kit and are pretty much a necessity in all of our shows now.
Interesting, do you think these "Sharpie" fixtures will stick around for a while, or is it just a flash in the pan phase? I'm not sold.

Sharpies are a one trick pony. I'm going to hold out for the moving head Highlighters; they are much better at producing neon colors.

Sharpies are a one trick pony. I'm going to hold out for the moving head Highlighters; they are much better at producing neon colors.

Not sure what you mean by mving head Highlighters, but I agree about them being a one trick pony. I think that's where a Mythos could come in, I could have that beam when I wanted it, and a normal spot when I didn't.

"Sharpy" is a Light fixture. "Sharpie" is an office suplly. But seriously, tight beam fixtures have there place but can be limiting, and you tend to see a lot of the same looks in many shows.

They are best used with a mix of other fixtures IMO, but like most gear in entertainment, their time will pass.

Interesting, do you think these "Sharpie" fixtures will stick around for a while, or is it just a flash in the pan phase? I'm not sold.
The fact that every company is now making an equivalent makes me think they will be around along time. Lets also be honest, your profile basically projects a coloured pattern, an effect that is quite dated.
I feel the next thing will be LED profile lights with inbuilt LCD panels, sort of like a DL2 without the price tag.

Now now Victor, play nice, you are responding to a new member who probably didn't notice he was responding on a two year old thread. But then again, on reflection, to quote Emily Litella, "Never mind" Isn't "flash in the pan" a reference to pyro? ;)
@MikeJ comment made me wonder if Clay Paky ever gave away Sharpies labeled SHARPY, that would have been cool.

Now now Victor, play nice, you are responding to a new member who probably didn't notice he was responding on a two year old thread. But then again, on reflection, to quote Emily Litella, "Never mind" Isn't "flash in the pan" a reference to pyro? ;)
@MikeJ comment made me wonder if Clay Paky ever gave away Sharpies labeled SHARPY, that would have been cool.

I recently did a show in a venue which had "Marker" lights, I got a good laugh out of that.

Sharpees are very interesting lights in having an internal reflector giving better wattage to effeiciency concpts and longer lamp life for less wattage. There is three versions each taking their own lamp which is unfortunate especially as the newer the version the more expensive the lamp. I note that Osram/Sylvania has recently bought the brand. I'm so far a fan of the Sharpee in all the versions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back