Conventional Fixtures Cleaning Source Fours... Worth it?

Is cleaning source four fixtures worth it

• Yes

Votes: 40 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Only once ever X years (leave post)

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

JHWelch

So, I was reading the Source Four manual last night about how to properly clean lenses so I know how to know, my question is if it is actually worth it.

I highly doubt that any of the fixtures have been cleaned since they where first purchased over 8 years ago. However, the dust on the lenses don't seem to impeded any function.

The worst that happens is that sometimes my spot operators complain that one of the lights are on fire... (There is only a little smoke).

I know a cleaning project would take a huge time commitment, but I was wondering if it is worth doing?

Smoke means fire, and fire is bad. A buildup of dust on any fixture is not good because it is a fire hazard. If a fire marshal ever inspected I have a feeling that they wouldn't like that too much. I try to clean all of my ERS's once a year, usually right before the season starts.

If your fixtures (or even one) are smoking then I would deffinatly take them all down, ispect them, clean them, and fix any issues before they are used again.

Cleaning your fixture's lenses, aside from making the lights safer, also lets more light through. The school I'm at right now doesn't clean their lights. We could have a little more light from the fixtures, but cleaning over three hundred Source 4s is a time commitment that no one seems to want to make.

But I like the dust, it helps them match my 360Q's ..... :evil:

We used to use 250+ S4 Ellipsoidal for Fashion Week in LA. We would have the shop to clean every lens before hand. It is 100% worth it. And FYI, even if the lens is clean, you can still get a little smoke coming out of the fixture. We would always have that especially when we would first fire the rig up.

At the absolute least a bi-annual cleaning is always worth it. Especially if you take that time to trouble shoot possible wiring problems and adjust your hot spots. Someone pointed out to me a while ago that the source four has only really been in service for about a dozen years. We're all used to these instruments being the "new" and therefore indestructible thing so maintenance is less of an issue with them than it is for those old Altman's or strand century's that everybody has sitting around. However any tool left out in the rain is a tool that will need to be replaced. So if you want your S-4's to last in good condition as long as those older lights you have hanging around, then you need to take care of them. Please remember that a most of these old fixtures have survived in working order this long because the previous generation took care of them. The kids coming up should be able to say the same thing about S-4s in another twenty years. And those are my pennies.

While cleaning a large inventory can be difficult, I believe it's worth it. Also remember that you don't have to do the entire project at once. Pull down 10 units, clean and bench them, and then write a little note with the date and your initials to indicate when it was last serviced. Eventually, you'll have your entire inventory cleaned and well-maintained. Even if you don't clean them all, you should at the bare minimum pull them all down and bench focus them. This actually does help the light output a lot, and it will help clear up dark patches in your washes. Too many theatres, schools in particular, don't ever bench their instruments, and then wonder why they have such inconsistent light output out of their units.

Are you in a school? If so, a yearly cleaning of your inventory can be a great way to teach students about how each type of instrument works. At the beginning of every season, during that time period where the set is just starting to be built, I gather everyone interested in lighting and we clean every unit in the inventory, stopping every few minutes to show everyone how a fresnel works, or what a lamp looks like after it's been handled, or whatever else comes up.

Yes.

Since that's too short for me to post, take a brand new shiney S4 36 degree and hang it and focus it against one of yours that hasn't been serviced.

You'll notice the difference.

I am in a school. Speaking of benching focusing a light, what is the proper way of doing that? I know it should be done, and I know basically how to, but not completely.

If you can explain in words, it would be very helpful

I am in a school. Speaking of benching focusing a light, what is the proper way of doing that? I know it should be done, and I know basically how to, but not completely.

If you can explain in words, it would be very helpful

ETC publishes a great little document that describes how to bench focus a Source Four.

The generally accepted way is to hang the unit on a pipe (an electric flown all the way in works well) and focus it straight at a large white surface about 10 feet away (such as the cyc, or maybe just a wall). How I personally do it is adjust the inner knob until you see a definite hot spot or dark spot in the beam. Then adjust the outer knob until this spot is perfectly centered in the beam. Finally, go back to the inner knob and adjust until the spot disappears and the field looks flat. It's kind of hard to describe, but once you start playing with the knobs and seeing the beam changing, it will make much more sense.

Though I can't really add anything to what has already been said about the importance of cleaning the S4's and the rest of your inventory, I tend to find the majority of needed or preventative repairs when cleaning.

I keep an inventory of several hundred so I know it's not always easy to keep up with, but it does prevent headaches, especially when it comes to performance time.

I highly doubt that any of the fixtures have been cleaned since they where first purchased over 8 years ago. However, the dust on the lenses don't seem to impeded any function.
Yes, it does impede the function of the instrument. Compare a dirty fixture to a clean one and you'll see quite clearly what the difference is.

I know a cleaning project would take a huge time commitment, but I was wondering if it is worth doing?
Yes, as part of your annual instrument maintenance program.

As others have said YES cleaning a S4 is worth it. It is also very important to the life of the Lamps and the quolity of light. To much dust can set fires by not allowing all the lamp heat to escape properly thus limiting lamp life and overall instrument quolity. (reflectors dont like heat nor do shutters). In my current theatre they think its a good idea to cut lumber in the space sometimes (GRRRR) thus saw dust plus god knows what else is all over all our fixtures. Cleaning them at least every other month is needed.

Side note: Dont forget to clean out DIMMERS! (They hate dust, trust me!)

Side note: Dont forget to clean out DIMMERS! (They hate dust, trust me!)

O god don't even start me on that!

I may be the head of tech at my school, but I am still a student, so of course they don't trust me completely. This means that I don't have a key to the dimmer rack. The dimmer rack is COMPLETELY filled with dust. It needs a cleaning NOW!

Thanks for reminding me, I will have to get someone to unlock it for me so I can clean it.

Remember this can be spread out throughout many months. Just clean a few a week and before you know it you will be done. It helps if you have multiple people working on it.

If you don't have the time to give them a thourough cleaning but want a little more light output, as a last resort you can just pull the barrels out and hose them off. Then once they dry wipe off any water spots on the lenses. It doesn't always work to well on the 36°'s since they have two lenses, but for everything else it's a quick easy fix.

If you don't have the time to give them a thourough cleaning but want a little more light output, as a last resort you can just pull the barrels out and hose them off. Then once they dry wipe off any water spots on the lenses. It doesn't always work to well on the 36°'s since they have two lenses, but for everything else it's a quick easy fix.

I wouldn't recommend hosing off lenses unless it is absolutely necessary. ETC prescribes what is appropriate for use in cleaning. Hosing off lens tubes can cause rusting or corrosion. It may also introduce particulate from the hose/pipes that could damage the lenses (like rust). Public water also contains lots of chemicals from treatment (to make it safe for drinking) that could potentially cause damage. In fact, if you are going to use water at all, I would suggest using only distilled water.

^ That's why "last resort" was in bold, like when you have one day to clean about a couple hundred of them with a small crew.

^ That's why "last resort" was in bold, like when you have one day to clean about a couple hundred of them with a small crew.

Frankly, if it isn't worth the time to do it right, it isn't worth the time to do it at all. The risks seem to outweigh the rewards in this situation. Ultimately you may actually be making more work for yourself later... Cleaning rust out of fixtures is not fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back