Clear Com walkie issues

My facility uses 8 wireless clear com WTR-670s with the CC-40s as headsets. They're roughly 6-7 years old and have been maintained very well from what I can tell. I've been noticing severe issues of cutting in and out, with the microphones not working sporadically. It seems if we play with the volume of the receiver pack, that can temporairly fix a dropped mic/headset, but the problem consistently comes back.

Has anyone experienced an issue with these units? Any suggestions for improvements/fixes?

We did just have a student break a headset during the last tech week, the fire snapped clean through at the base of the headset, so I will have to replace at least the 1 headset. I'm currently unsure if I should be looking at something other than Clear Com.

Are you sure it's your headset and not RF interference? Wireless intercom frequency issues can manifest as silence, on these boxes sidetone is delivered via the main station and not the belt pack, so a dropout will make it seem like your mic isn't working. I don't have experience with the WTR-670, but they look oddly similar to Telex TR-800 packs, down to the stickers on the back.

You are looking for something similar to this. Being that you are running the 670s. Most of the time the culprit in these issues are the headsets. The connectors and wires and the headset drop smash crunch rtc etc.

As far as location I would check your networking rack maybe or sitting next to your lighting console. The antennas are on the back so look for those as well.

image.png

You are looking for something similar to this. Being that you are running the 670s. Most of the time the culprit in these issues are the headsets. The connectors and wires and the headset drop smash crunch rtc etc.

As far as location I would check your networking rack maybe or sitting next to your lighting console. The antennas are on the back so look for those as well.

View attachment 12955

That's an MS-702 for wired Intercom, not a WBS-670 base station. It'll be this guy
proxy.php

http://www.clearcom.com/upload/product/1247188747WBS-670-Basestation_Front.jpg

If the mic is shorting out due to physical connector stress, pop it on a known good wired intercom and flex the connector, working the cable from the earpiece down the connector to find the short. That being said, if you are still hearing just fine my money is still on RF issues rather than a connector short. Wireless intercom is tricky if you don't pay attention to antenna placements and frequency coordination. Stock whips can be troublesome at full transmit power, as you can overpower the front-end of the Rx circuitry via the Tx antenna.

Yeah, the WBS, sorry about that.

Those are in the high 500 to low 600mhz range. What other wireless, if any are you running in the space?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back