Climb-able giant christmas lights

Beans45601

A few years ago we put up a show of "Merry Christmas, Mouse!" which featured a 25' tall 2d Christmas tree that the boy and mouse climbed all over. Of course, the tree needed giant christmas lights that they (appeared to) string during the show.

What I ended up doing was using 12v 50w A style RV light bulbs and coloring them with plasti-dip. These were then strung together (4 circuits, RGBA) and I attached giant (1') plastic Christmas light shells over them. Inside these 4 circuits of cable lived a length of aircraft cable which was attached off at each end. The idea was that this would be somewhat of a safety if they fell and needed to grab onto the string of lights. The lights were then chased with a series of relays and run from a deep cycle battery.

But I am curious, how would you have pulled this off (This way seemed somewhat Rube Golbergish)? I am asking because I am curious if their are better ways to do it. It was decided that we are going to start doing a 3 year rotation of Christmas shows and this is coming up next year.

DSC_5453.JPG

Actually that sounds like a great solution. Just 'cause Rube Goldberg is funny, doesn't mean he's wrong.

I must agree, they look very realistic and heck- they're made already! :)

You did a fine job, Beans. Congrats! :discoball: :clap: :discoball:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back