Color temp recommendations

cwbanks

Current room 860 seat auditorium with half bowl shaped seating. We shoot video for overlow venue and multisite venues every weekend. Our architectural room lights are warm incandescent bulbs and the stage is currently a R33 no pink to create a warm tone in room as the stage is very close to the audience. Correcting up to 1/2CTB is too far of a jump in this room, and our cameras won't white balance to the R33. What other techniques would you recommend to help the cameras white balance and raise the temp of stage lights without being to stark? I'm leaning towards a 1/4CTB with a warm blush fill on sides to warm up tones in the room. This would obviously help color representation on camera as well.

If your not an expert, what parameters match your venue or technique?
1. What temperature are you correcting your stage up to and what temperature is your house lighting?…How did you decide to land at that temperature for your stage and or house?
2. What type of senic lighting fixtures are behind your speaker?…Do you correct any of them if they’re ARC or LED outputs?
3. What kind of video cameras are you using and are you SD or HD?
4. Do you IMAG for the room or for feeds outside of the room?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where to begin...

Do you run your house lights at full while your taping? As you dim your lights they are going to give off a more tungsten color. Id LED fixtures will probably make your cameras go whacky too. I work in corporate and the video guys always end up doing more work when I use LED's on stage. Also given you said you cannot white balance to R33 they will probably struggle with the LEDs. I may almost recommend a no color wash with some diffusion(R119) Using anything cooler (CTB'S) will be hard to go back and forth between audience shots and stage shots, if that's something your doing.

We typically use no color wash if we do a stage and audience shot with the same camera and include a few no color audience blinders.
Our back wash is generally a few Source 4 Parnels with some form of LED up lighting. Whether its on black drape or some form of scenic element.
I'm not super hip on our cameras but we use a Sony HDV cam outputting HDSDI

Hope this helps!

I don't know a ton about filming and how that takes light, but it seems no color front would be the best, or some L201 or 202. You could also try some mccandles front light with no color from one side and 202 from the other.

In general, the video companies that I work with generally prefer that I color correct all my tungsten sources to L201, for both front and back light. Keep the backlight at 50 or 60% and the warming of the dimming curve will provide enough differentiation to show up on camera. Usually cameras balance pretty well to that. The only caveat to that is if you do a lot of crowd shots, because they will be dramatically warmer than your stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back