Comparable to Shure SLX

NHStech

I have four Shure SLX units and am looking to expand and get a few more wireless lav systems. I have been very pleased with them, but am not opposed to getting other brands. My questions:
1) Since I already have Shures, does that compel me to get other Shures? In other words, is there some inherent flaw in mixing brands of systems?
2) AT and Sennheiser seem to be the main Shure competitiors. Any picks among these two companies of a particular make of similar quality to the SLX's but that would be cheaper?

I believe AT uses the same connector on the mics as the Shures, so mics would be interchangeable, whereas the Sennheisers are different. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with mixing brands however.

EDIT: No they don't, they are both 4 pin, but in a different configuration.

Last edited:
AT does not use the same connectors on their mics. It is a completely different connector. There is no problem mixing brands just keep an eye on the frequencys that you buy. I would consider AT to be a good substitute for SLX.

There is nothing inherently wrong with mixing system brands. In fact, if you plan to buy an antenna distro system you can share it amongst systems too. THe only catch is you need to make sure you can properly coordinate your frequencies.

I agree, if you are pleased with them, what would your motivation be to mess with something different? We have 20 Shure SLX systems, and have been very pleased with them for several years. As mentioned before, just make sure you are doing appropriate frequency coordination so you are buying in the most flexible frequency set for your area.

~Dave

I know I have read reviews that tell people to stay away from the SLX, however we have 18 units in our theatre (as well as 5 others in other parts of the school) and have had pretty good success with them in an educational environment. The main advantage to keeping with one brand would be that it is easier to keep spare equipment (such as an extra microphone that can easily be damaged during a show).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back