Concrete Hardware

What about putting up a horizontal length of Unistrut/Kindorf? It will work like the 2x8 and is a little less obtrusive on the wall. The multiple attatchment points will help spread the load too.

Thats a really good idea in theory, but Unistrut would be very hard to work with if the bottom was not facing down. It would also be very expensive.

I disagree with both points above and think Unistrut (or similar) is a great solution.

1. Unistrut's primary use is to support conduit--in any orientation, and is very often mounted horizontally on walls to support vertical EMT runs and enclosures.
proxy.php

A multitude of various brackets here. Welcome to Unistrut, The Original Metal Framing.
proxy.php

2. The per-foot cost of Unistrut is certainly less than that of 2x8 lumber.

As much as I hate unistrut for lighting positions, it seems perfect for this job.

It seems you are right on both points.

I still dont think I would use it though because it would be hard to paint black. Or does it come in black finish, I can't find it on the website.

Most of what I have used is either factory Forest Green or bare steel, but takes "Technician's Magic Cure-All" (flat black spray paint) as well as any other metallic surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back