Connecting two Lightboards

Shawncfer

So I have an ETC Insight 3 that I want to control a whole bunch of conventionals with, and, as much as I hate it, an Elation Pro Compu dongle to control a couple movers with. The only problem is that they're all run down the same dmx line and I don't want to have to run another line. So my question is, on the Insight, theres a DMX In Port. Can I run a dmx cable from the dongle, to the In Port of the Insight, and then Dmx through the chain of dimmers and movers? Besides the 3pin-5pin cables I need to do so. If not, is there another way, or another piece of equipment I can purchase, to accomplish the same thing?

So I have an ETC Insight 3 that I want to control a whole bunch of conventionals with, and, as much as I hate it, an Elation Pro Compu dongle to control a couple movers with. The only problem is that they're all run down the same dmx line and I don't want to have to run another line. So my question is, on the Insight, theres a DMX In Port. Can I run a dmx cable from the dongle, to the In Port of the Insight, and then Dmx through the chain of dimmers and movers? Besides the 3pin-5pin cables I need to do so. If not, is there another way, or another piece of equipment I can purchase, to accomplish the same thing?

I don't have any experience with the insight, but with other ETC consoles I can work but the console must be configured correctly to pass through or reinterpret the DMX

Last edited:
You might do a search on the ETC forum about Insight DMX in, but I don't think it allows a basic pass-thru and merge.

Possibly an easier and more reliable way to do this is with a Merger box. ETC, Fleenor and others make these, you may well find one used. It takes 2 (or more) DMX inputs and merges to one data stream on a HTP basis. IF you keep the Insight at one range and the Elation at the other, you won't get a conflict.

Ain't no doubt though, that the cheapest way is to run a 2nd DMX line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back