connectoring a speaker cable

AlexD

We have some suround sound wires in place, and now some speakers to use. The wire that has be instaled is a normal two core speaker cable that you get for hi fi systems. I need to conect them to an amp but the amp has 1/4 inch jack, well the amp has an xlr input and a spekon out or two 1/4 inch jacks outputs, for one chanle so it has the same on the other side. can i solder an unbalanced jack conector to them by doing it as you would with a normal two core wire? and plug it into one of the jack outs, would tthis work? The system is all mono so the stero isnt an isue.

If yoy wna see a diagram oof the back panle then heres a link
OMNITRONIC POWER AMPLIFIER 130WATTS | Power Amplifiers | Audio Amplifiers

There is also a manual oon this site under the image

Looking at the panel layout of the amp from the link you posted I come to the conclusion that the 1/4" jacks you are speaking of are INPUTS. The OUTPUTS are the speakon OR the binding post connectors.

Attach to the binding post, that'll be just fine.

Oh, and if you are running mono and don't have the same signal to the inputs for channel 1 & 2 in other words you just have one input to the amp, be sure to set the "DUAL" switch to "MONO PARALLEL"

no im talking about 14 and 15 on the panle diagram thay are out puts but i just found out there "BANANA/SCREW COMBINATION" have no idea what they are just about to look them up but i am planing/thinking that if i plug a jack into the red one that will give me the mono signle.

Wait are BANANA/SCREW COMBINATION the ones that you atach the two core speaker cables to? If so woohoo!!! no conector needed ^^

Last edited:
14 & 15 are the "banana" jacks. These are not 1/4" jacks. If you rotate the red and black "knobs" full counter clockwise and look in the sides of the metal posts you should see a hole for insertation of the speaker wire.

Of the two speaker wires from one speaker connect the "+" to the red post and the "-" to the black post. NOTE 15 is for the channel one speaker red / black + / -

14 is for channel 2 red / black + / -

BTW binding post = banana jacks ...same thing

I would put speakons on the speakers, myself. The jacks don't cost too much and then you can use your normal speaker cables without having an oddball sitting around.

I would put speakons on the speakers, myself. The jacks don't cost too much and then you can use your normal speaker cables without having an oddball sitting around.

Probably won't matter. I think it's an installed system.

"dsfghsfghsdgfhsdfgsdfg"

Where should I set my decoder ring so that I can decipher this??:p

Yes it is an instaled system, the wires have been set behind the plaster and come out at the sound booth. the speakers them selfs have speaker wire inputs (the red and black conectors) so i dont have to do anything there, and also the amp i am getting has the ability to conect the speaker wire to it, all i need is some jack or xlr cables to get the signle to teh mixer (unfortunately they have instaled the wire about 5-10 meters from where the desk is).

Those appear to be what is commonly called five-way binding posts as they can be terminated in five ways (banana plug, pin plug, wire inserted in the hole, wire wrapped around the post or lug). Personally, for installed systems banana jacks would be the last of the five options I would use and I prefer to use spade (fork) or ring lugs instead of bare wire. A ring lug is the most secure, you have to actually remove the plastic 'nut', put the lug over the post and then reinstall the plastic 'nut' until it is tight. The limiting factor in that case is the crimping on the lug failing or if that is very good, even the cable itself breaking. A spade/fork lug would be my second choice. Inserting the wire in the hole can be sometimes difficult with speaker cables due to the hole being too small for the conductor and with either inserted or wrapped wire you have to be careful to make sure you are tightening the 'nut' down on the conductor and not the insulation.

Lugs are widely available, just be sure to use the proper lugs for the cable gage. Simply strip the end of the wire an appropriate length, slide on the lug and crimp it. Good, professional crimpers with interchangeable die can be expensive ($50 to several hundred dollars) but you can get a set that includes several different size crimp lugs and butt splices along with a ratchet crimper like this, ECLIPSE Terminal Crimp Kit - Terminal Crimp Kit, for less than $40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back