Wireless Continue with E6s or switch it up?

sdauditorium

During our most recent high school musical run, we lost one of our E6 mics due to a quick costume/makeup change and makeup or cleaner getting on the element itself (Wizard of Oz - Scarecrow to Hunk) at the end of the show. The high school has agreed to replace the mic itself, but I'm debating whether to stay with the E6s which have served us great or switch to a hair-placed mic instead.

By all I've read and know, it seems like hair-worn are generally preferred for numerous reasons. However, I'm concerned that the extra coordination required with hairdressers (read: parent volunteers), especially as we'd get more and more hair-worn mics (20 wireless systems in total) would create too many problems with lack of time required.

That being said, I'd like the group's input on both whether to venture into that territory, and either way, suggestions of specific models. I have absolutely no issues with the E6s, they've served us very well in terms of quality and reliability.

You can wear a B6 like an E6 but you can't wear a E6 like a B6.
Also doubles as a Lav.

I prefer E6 if the school does not have the budget for enough mics to cover everyone.
Throw it over the ear, tape it to the cheek and of they go.
A B6 takes a bit longer but is much more flexible in the placement and hiding.
If you have an extremely loud singer that clips the E6, not too much you can do but with a B6, just move it further back from the mouth. (hair mounted usually isn't a problem here)

For price Vs. performance Vs. durability, I would stick with Countryman.

During our most recent high school musical run, we lost one of our E6 mics due to a quick costume/makeup change and makeup or cleaner getting on the element itself (Wizard of Oz - Scarecrow to Hunk) at the end of the show. The high school has agreed to replace the mic itself, but I'm debating whether to stay with the E6s which have served us great or switch to a hair-placed mic instead.

By all I've read and know, it seems like hair-worn are generally preferred for numerous reasons. However, I'm concerned that the extra coordination required with hairdressers (read: parent volunteers), especially as we'd get more and more hair-worn mics (20 wireless systems in total) would create too many problems with lack of time required.

That being said, I'd like the group's input on both whether to venture into that territory, and either way, suggestions of specific models. I have absolutely no issues with the E6s, they've served us very well in terms of quality and reliability.

I find E6s are the way to go in a non professional situation because the placement is easier and ends up being much more consistent each time. Add inexperienced high school sound operators into the mix who are still learning how to EQ to avoid feedback and the consistent placement of the E6 makes a big difference in your end results.

You can't think that an E6 (or even a B6) will last forever, though. You will be lucky if you don't need to replace a few every year once they get a little older. I would recommend setting up a rotation so you are buying a couple every year and rotating out your worst mics.

I find E6s are the way to go in a non professional situation because the placement is easier and ends up being much more consistent each time. Add inexperienced high school sound operators into the mix who are still learning how to EQ to avoid feedback and the consistent placement of the E6 makes a big difference in your end results.

You can't think that an E6 (or even a B6) will last forever, though. You will be lucky if you don't need to replace a few every year once they get a little older. I would recommend setting up a rotation so you are buying a couple every year and rotating out your worst mics.

Couple good points you brought up. The good news is, with the complexity, I mix our high school shows so not too worried about that. However, the mic that went down in action was one of our oldest mics, so I consider that a win. To think of it, other than having to replace 1-2 of the original 1 mm cables every year due to breaking at the strain relief, this may be the first mic we've lost in years.

You can wear a B6 like an E6 but you can't wear a E6 like a B6.
Also doubles as a Lav.

I prefer E6 if the school does not have the budget for enough mics to cover everyone.
Throw it over the ear, tape it to the cheek and of they go.
A B6 takes a bit longer but is much more flexible in the placement and hiding.
If you have an extremely loud singer that clips the E6, not too much you can do but with a B6, just move it further back from the mouth. (hair mounted usually isn't a problem here)

For price Vs. performance Vs. durability, I would stick with Countryman.

We've got 20 systems and 20 mics (all E6s), so that isn't a pressing issue for us.

The sound characteristics of a mic at the hair line may be glaringly different compared to a good sounding mic (and placement) like the E6.

E6's sound great, but can be finicky. I usually suggest upgrading to a DPA Define, if the budget allows.
The DPA has numerous replaceable parts and the ear loop is not part of the mic, so less wear on the expensive parts, they have proven to be much more durable, but at a cost!
Another option I suggest is going with a cheaper boom mic for chorus folks like an VU HM2000 (or equivalent) and put leads only in E6's. But B3's are a good all around mic as well that have proven to be not only more versatile, but more durable than an E6 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back