Contol Booth for Film & TV/Chat app?

dmarushy

Hello, besides Theatre, I also work in an Art Department for a Television show. I often have a bunch of questions that I would love a community to help answer like I do here, so I was wondering how many people on here also work in the Film Industry. AND is there a site just like this for the Film Industry. If not, the people here at CB should look at expanding into one, it would be really helpful.

My question this week is: What is the best way to simulate an Instant Messaging type site in action, using actors (a person on the computer talking to someone else who answers). We've done it with Flash in the past (including animating the actors typing on screen), but it's a crap load of work and it was 3 years ago so I would have to re-learn how to use Flash again :p.

This is NOT an INDIE film, it's for a network so we can't use anything REAL.

Re: Contol Booth for Film & Television???

I don't work in film (at all actually, but thats beside the point) You could have two people actually have the conversation using something real, and then edit that so the logos were different.

I don't work in film (at all actually, but thats beside the point) You could have two people actually have the conversation using something real, and then edit that so the logos were different.

The problem is, this isn't something small time where I am doing the editing or can expect our editing department to do that for us. Here, it's up to us (The Almighty Art Department) to CREATE everything!

I often think how much easier life would be if the editing dept. could just do our job for us! Of course then they wouldn't want to pay me.

What about using an IM client with a custom skin?

What about using an IM client with a custom skin?

Tell me more?! Good idea.

Actually I just opened iChat, and I quickly realized this might be doable as it's not littered with logos or ads and the computers we use on the show are all macs.
Might be a good solution. Only trouble is convincing other people around here that this is easier/better than animating. Some people feel like we shouldn't give actors any control on this type of thing.

Last edited:

If you have a Mac, take a look at Adium. It is very easy to customize.

...I often have a bunch of questions that I would love a community to help answer like I do here, so I was wondering how many people on here also work in the Film Industry. AND is there a site just like this for the Film Industry. If not, the people here at CB should look at expanding into one, it would be really helpful. ...
We DO have a few exclusive film/TV people here, as well as many who will work anywhere if the price is right. We answer film questions right along side the live entertainment questions, but stop short of "What film stock should I use for day for night?" For that, see Cinematography.com - Community, Education, News and Resources for Cinematographers .

Moving this thread to the Props dept., as I think that's where your question would be handled if for a legit theatre.

From a tech perspective, you could save stacks of time by simply making a screen recording of the chat conversation in a real client (using Screen Flow, QuickTime, etc), apply necessary edits to that video, then play it back full-screen during the actual shooting. All the advantages of a pre-baked foolproof animation, but with a fraction of the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back