Loudspeakers Control Booth & Stage/Floor Monitors

DoubleXX

We're a small, somewhat clueless, 500 seat elementary school theater. We need to replace our aging control room & stage/floor monitors. How we decide what we need & which speakers would work for us?
Thanks

Some more info would be helpful. What speakers do you have now. Are they active or passive? For those who don't know active speakers require power and signal and have a built in amplifier, passive speakers require an external power amplifier.
Some photos would also be helpful.

We're a small, somewhat clueless, 500 seat elementary school theater. We need to replace our aging control room & stage/floor monitors. How we decide what we need & which speakers would work for us?
Thanks
Westill need more info. What type of reproduction? Spoken word, choirs? I assume SAT. Bands? Plays? Multichannel video and trackS? How many mics?

In the control room, we have JBL Control 23L units. They require power & we'd like to replace them withactive speakers of about that size. On the stage floor we have really old Peavey 112 TLM wedges, which are also passive.
The theater accommodates choral festivals, musicals, meetings, percussion groups, Orff groups,, movie viewing et al.
9 wireless SHure mics, 2 ceiling choral mics, six mics on the floor. 2 boundary mics (we never all of these at the same time)

Attachments

• DSCN0535.jpg
    DSCN0535.jpg
    447.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN0534.jpg
    DSCN0534.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 90
For active booth monitors, I'd go with JBL 305P MkII, which are inexpensive and reasonably accurate. If you have more to spend, there are many choices. For active stage monitors, Yamaha DBR series or QSC K.2 series.

I've worked in a bunch of spaces where studio monitors were placed inside the sound booth, either with or without a window.
Besides using as a cue monitor (with a proper delay time), what use do monitors in the booth serve?

As an argument for passive stage monitors - you could use anything as small as a Hot Spot or as large as your current 12" wedge.
I assume different event types require different size stage monitors. I've always appreciated just having a speakon cable and be able to swap a monitor that isn't too big and can easily be moved if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back