Control/Dimming Controller/dimmer compatibilty

OTHScott

I have been out of the lighting scene for too many years(pre DMX). I volunteered to help with a small production at the local theatre. They have an NSI 7524 console and two NSI DDS6000 dimmer packs. Each dimmer has one channel not working. The owners have bought two Matrix DMX Pro dimmer packs to add more available channels. Will the two different brands work together?

It should, you just have to link the DMX signal from dimmer pack to dimmer pack, then address it. The only thing you need to worry about is if your 600 has a three pin XLR or a five pin XLR. If it is three pin you can't connect them, it is running Microplex. If it is 5 pin then it is DMX and can be hooked together.

It should, you just have to link the DMX signal from dimmer pack to dimmer pack, then address it. The only thing you need to worry about is if your 600 has a three pin XLR or a five pin XLR. If it is three pin you can't connect them, it is running Microplex. If it is 5 pin then it is DMX and can be hooked together.

Hmm? They make adapters for three pin to five pin do they not?

Hmm? They make adapters for three pin to five pin do they not?
Of course they do: adapter, 3-5 and adapter, 5-3.

HOWEVER, on the NSI DDS 6000 dimmer (and virtually all gear from NSI, Lightronics, and Leprecon) if it's 3-pin XLR, it's Microplex, not "3-pin DMX." One would need an IF 501 (or other protocol converter) to go from MPX-to-DMX or DMX-to-MPX.

From the DDS 6000 data sheet.pdf:
• NSI 128 channel Micro-Plex (3-pin XLR male and female)
• 0 to 10 volt analog input (5-pin DIN)
• Optional DMX512 digital control (5-pin XLR male and female)

Thanks for the replies. The DDS6000 dimmers are microplex. The MC7524 board has microplex and DMX outlets. Is it possible to use both of these at the same time? We have dimmer packs for both protocols.

I know the MC7000 series output both DMX and MPX simultaneously; it would surprise me if the MC7500 series didn't as well.

I Believe that it will output the both at the sametime, there is an option on the dimmer output page of the 7500 that allows you to select mcx or dmx, but I believe this is more to just adjust for the fact that dmx can have 512 addresses, and mcx only 128.

the other option on the nsi6000 is you can get an upgrade kit that adds the dmx chip and the 5 pin xlr connectors so you can convert over to dmx

are the same channels out on both dimmer packs? there are fuses that can be hard to get out and are the kind that you need to use a meter to test, Most of the time if it is a circuit problem inside two channels go out at onec

Also check that you have the addressing set correctly, if you remove the mcx connection does all the outputs go to full on?

NSI does offer a fixed fee refurb service

Sharyn

No, it is not the same channel on each dimmer. #1 on one and #3 on the other. I have since learned that another dimmer pack had completely quit. I will get another look at all of the components Thursday night. I will post again after that. Thanks to all for the input.

I know the MC7000 series output both DMX and MPX simultaneously; it would surprise me if the MC7500 series didn't as well.

I have a MC7500 Board...it outputs both simimultaneously.

Usually on the DDS6000 you can swap out the fuse and regain the channel. It's fairly straight forward, though you will need unplug the dimmer & pull the cover to gain access to the fuses. Occasionally, the wires work loose from the back side of each receptacle in the pack as well.

Bottom line, check fuses first.

Last edited:
I have a MC7500 Board...it outputs both simimultaneously.

Usually on the DDS6000 you can swap out the fuse and regain the channel. It's fairly straight forward, though you will need unplug the dimmer & pull the cover to gain access to the fuses. Occasionally, the wires work loose from the back side of each receptacle in the pack as well.

Bottom line, check fuses first.

MIGHT BE A DIFFERENT VERSION than I am used to, the ones I have seen the fuses are all on the outside, BUT based on a fuse failure sometimes they get stuck in the inside and are difficult to remove

sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back