Controlling Booth Traffic

Fortunately, the entrance to the lighting booth at my high school is on a different floor than the auditorium entrance. It's also located inside a hallway that's considered a restricted area for students. So you either have to use the service elevator which requires a key, or you have to go through a doorway which is locked 90% of the time. All of that plus the fact that most people don't even know how to get up there greatly reduces the amount of traffic in and out of the booth.

If you remove the door knob to the booth that's basically my booth access. Our booth is big enough where we can store our 100+ instruments, amp/dsp rack, gel sheets, lighting board, 2 follow spots and lot's of other miscellanious stuff and we're usually open to actors or the occasional friend hanging out with us. We eat up there quite a bit actually but that's mostly because there's a room at the very entrance to the booth that serves no real purpose other than access to our FOH bar and a window to yell across the auditorium for in case there isn't a clear-com set handy (or if it's off but that's another rant for a different thread)

the best way to kick them out is by keeping them out. in our booth the doors are always locked and actors are never let in. the mics are distributed back stage

the best way to kick them out is by keeping them out. in our booth the doors are always locked and actors are never let in. the mics are distributed back stage
I still don't see the major problem with allowing actors in the booth with-in reason. They shouldn't be allowed up there at anytime to mess with the equipment and they should be too busy during the show to come up then. However, if they want to visit during rehearsal, as long as they aren't distracting then let them learn. They shouldn't be eating there, they shouldn't be touching the equipment, but they may get an interest and all of a sudden you have a new tech.
In my HS the light board was back stage, it was open to everybody, but they knew not to touch what they didn't know about.

At my former HS, i cant remember, as a student who also teched in the theater, seeing so many "goofies" trying to get into the booth, and when they did manage to get in, how hard it was for them to understand what they came up there for in the first place. lol (caught red handed every time :) ) i personally did work with some people who were not involoved with the school who worked with us, and omg sometimes i felt like i wanted to rip their ears off, "the lights too bright, can you turn it down" (turns down) "its too dim can you turn it up" but hey they respected us and we respected them, got 100 bucks for it, so hey cant complain. Even during detentions or study hall hwhen it was in the theater, our teacher would see someone looking at the booth, and she yelled "you touch anything that you dont have permision to, i willl let these boys (me and a few others who were in the stagecraft class) teach you something about the law of "look but dont touch, and trust me you dont want to be mesing with them"" hehehe that always scared anybody away off the stage or by the booth, even though it was always locked , it was still funny to see their reactions. I hated during study hall, i would be working on stuff for stagecraft and some people came and tried to follow me into the booth, i saw them and kindly put the key in the door, opened it slightly stepped in, took the key out, and shut the door in their face. >:) hehehehe i always keep the booth tidy and nice aafter im done using it, but key sharing absolutely not, srry if you arent in stagecraft you dont get the keys, you can plead all you want but im just sitting there, smiing and nodding, just smiling and nodding )

its not the same at our church booth tho, i mean our church members, some staff, and guests all know better then to go into the booth without a valid reason or they will be eaten alive if im in there working and they give me a stupid reason cause A: if you give me a dumb reason and then lie to me the first 5 seconds, your out. Pastors, A/V Team Personnel, Church band members, and paid church staff are the only authorized peersonnel, unless your a visiting tech, or being trained, you have no buisness in the booth. Anyone that wants access needs to find an A/V team member and clear it with us, as long as we know that we're ok with it and as long as they dont touch the equipment we dont have a problem as long as you ave a valid reason to be inside the booth.

aslo we do allow food sometimes, not often tho, as long as we all know that we will be suffering for it if something spils, its our risk to bring food/drink in but it stays away from the equipment at all times, unless its covered or capped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back