Cool old Mic

HSSBO94

See three pictures attached

Found this in a drawer earlier today. Has anyone had an experience using it before?

It looks pretty old, but when I plugged it in it worked totally great!

My other question is... does anyone know what the grille is for running up and down the handle? Covering it didn't really do anything bad.

photo copy 2.JPGphoto copy.JPGphoto.JPG

The text on the mic says RE15.

Last question: what's the metal point on the very top for (last picture)?

Thought this would be a good place to post

-Matt

Ya, Tom hit the nail on the head. We had several in a venue I use to work at, along with some old old EV monitors. The mic actually did not sound half bad as an instrument mic on a trumpet in a pinch.

~Dave

the grill on the side is helps to reduce feedback.
This microphone came out soon after floor monitors came into common use.

Almost, but not quite. The grill on the side is the tuned port that significantly reduces proximity effect. It is what EV calls "Variable-D." The technology is proprietary to Electro-Voice. Proximity effect is the bass boost that occurs when the sound source gets to close to a directional microphone. Omnidirectional mics do not exhibit proximity effect. RE15s hit the market in 1967 and stayed in production around 40 years. The similar RE16 is still in production.

EV may still refurbish that mic to like new for a reasonable charge. That one is missing a plastic grill over the cloth covering the port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back