Cool way to make Barbed Wire

T.J. Willis

Hey all, while I was working on a show I came across some fencing and gates that had some very convincing barbed wire and I just thought I'd share it here because of how simple and easy it is. What they did was run steel wire and then take two zip ties every foot or so and tighten them up, rotated them apart, add a dab of hot glue and cut them down to about an inch. And with a little bit of paint walla! super realistic barbed wire

Attachments

• IMG-4150.jpg
    IMG-4150.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG-4151.jpg
    IMG-4151.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 186
That Looks Great!

Why not just use real barbed wire? You gonna tell me that a pointy cut off end of a zip tie isn't going to rip my arm when I walk by too close?

Reactions: Van
Why not just use real barbed wire? You gonna tell me that a pointy cut off end of a zip tie isn't going to rip my arm when I walk by too close?
I think maybe taking a lighter to the cut off end of the zip tie to blunt it would be a good idea; those things can be sharp when cut. I can see why someone wouldn't want to buy 500' of wire if they only need ten, it's not like you can buy it by the foot.

worked around enough zip ties to know I wouldn't want to be onstage with that. They like to bite.
I'm thinking you could get the same effect from a tie of thick black yarn. dob of hot glue if you insist to keep it in place.

We did a similar thing for the original production and touring Miss Saigon. The actors cliumbed the fence so it had to be super safe.
Started with a long pair of runs of stranded wire. Put them in a drill and twisted them eratically. Add the barbs in window screen spline(half hitch knot) then a dab of super glue.

Attachments

• barbed wire438.jpg
    barbed wire438.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 86
  • barbed wire.jpg
    barbed wire.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 90
We did a similar thing for the original production and touring Miss Saigon. The actors cliumbed the fence so it had to be super safe.
Started with a long pair of runs of stranded wire. Put them in a drill and twisted them eratically. Add the barbs in window screen spline(half hitch knot) then a dab of super glue.
"Cat added for scale." :D

That is clever.
I cut zip ties across the width instead of across the thinnest part. It leaves a much less sharp edge.
I twist off the excess. leaves no sharp end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back