Cost effective scenery motorization

Andy Haefner

Hello, is there a cost effective way to add a push motor to heavy scenery to make it easier to move with one or two stagehands instead of 5 or 6? I was thinking of a 12v motor powered by a car battery or smaller SLA batteries. I was thinking a winch of some sort pulling on a tethered axle but in total it seems kinda expensive for our budget, is there an easier way?

There are a number of ways to make things move. The safest are the manual means. Powering something means you need to be able to control your monster, Dr. Frank. If the switch sticks how do you stop it? If the battery dies how do you move it?

How about an electric pallet jack on one end?

I built a windlass to rotate a turntable in summer theatre for way less than $100 many years ago. But ultimately it was on person and iirc that's about a 1/4 hp. If your wagon needs all the power - strength - of 6 people, two can't move it or at least not at same speed. On the other hand, I'd be surprised if with the right wheels and rolling surface, one person can't move it.

If you have ever had 5 or 6 HS students “help” move a grand piano. you would be very surprised at how quick they can get that 750lb piano up to 10 miles an hour. Don’t worry about stopping, that’s what the wall is for.

I built a windlass to rotate a turntable in summer theatre for way less than $100 many years ago. But ultimately it was on person and iirc that's about a 1/4 hp. If your wagon needs all the power - strength - of 6 people, two can't move it or at least not at same speed. On the other hand, I'd be surprised if with the right wheels and rolling surface, one person can't move it.

Or the alternative - slap the designer and scene shop for making "stoopid heavy" set pieces.

Oh, wait, designers are Sacred Deities who must never be questioned and their work product must be worshiped as definitive and final. Set carps must then build the Edifice with a $52.13 budget and utilize all the of the scrap pile to accomplish this.

Notice the lack of "smiley" things...

Triple swivel casters are your friend. Motorized should be your last resort.

I worked on a production of Sweeney Todd where the designer wasn't used to making sets. So we had shelves made out of pressure treated 2x8s. That set was heavy.
Swapped the 40 casters out for 10 triple swivel casters and it made the unit set a 1-2 person job.

Where I have worked, the designers only determined how it was to look and teh tech director was responsible for the means and methods of building it.

Triple swivels unless it moves in the same direction - a straight line or an arc -then fixed casters and guide. And pay attention to caster tire - materials. Best is alwys steel wheels on steel rails, but typical hardboard is going to be polyurethane.

It's all about friction.

Control can be an issue, but most motor drivers realize that and give you a few safer options.

Either way when shopping on a budget:
Oriental Motor Co is a good source for high torque DC motors. Their brushless DC gear motor packages are pretty hard to beat. Drive with I/O, motor, gear reducer, and cabling all in one package. Have to pay attention of output shaft diameter though. 22mm pulleys are hard to come by on this side of the pond.
Automation Direct is where I usually look for AC motors. You have to piece the package together a bit, but their search a filter system works well and if you're really confused they have a help line that I'm told is actually helpful. You can also buy things like relays and buttons from them as well. Their equipment gets a bad rap and would be passé on a lot of the shows I work on now, but it's basic and functional.

I'm assuming this is a set piece moving in a straight line, if not you have a very different set of issues. I would try to go AC if you can manage the cable. You're going to get more power for less money and the drive is a little simpler so it will be easier to setup and more resilient over time. You could get a 1/2hp IronHorse motor and a matching GS1 drive for $250. Add some control devices and an enclosure to your order and you could be done for $350 total.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back