Countryman E6 omni

whaleboat

Has anybody ever had a problem with the E6 sounding "boomy" ? The only way I can get halfway decent sound out of mine is too drastically cut the lows both on the soundboard and at the reciever . Then I have to boost the input channel gain on the board to make up for cutting the lows so much , which results in a feedback tightrope act . I also have some old Shure WH20 dynamic headset mics which I have no problem with . Well gotta go , doors open in 2 minutes .

In a word, no.

Make sure that the element isn't pressed into the actors cheek. Soft flesh will soak up HF like a sponge. The element doesn't have to be very far away from the cheek to be safe. Countryman also sells frequency boost caps for the e6, so look into their +4dB(or +8dB) HF boost to solve your problem.

I love the countryman mics.

I've never had much of a problem with this either. my first impression is that you are having problems due to placement. Try moving them around and see how much of a help you can make from that.
Temples are good for some people, others foreheads, some cheeks.
Lotsa options to explore.

Depends on the performer's face shape, skull, etc...

I agree to make sure not to have them against the skin (for sweat, and because of how it effects the tone and pattern).

Ours are definitely "full sounding", and usually need a bit of cut in the midrange and/or upper midrange as well. They sound quite good with just a bit of tweaking. I've yet to need to make any cuts for feedback.

No problems with boominess in my expereince either. Most usual problem is to much sibilence, which is often corrected by using the "flat" caps rather than the standard "10k boost" caps. Maybe I cut a touch of 200 for certain male singers, but never on females. Maybe you're confusing breath noise and pops with boominess? You can get a quite loud low frequency pop if the element is too close to the mouth.

Had the gain up fairly high on the bodypak , meter on the reciever hitting the red quite a bit . I didn't really think that mattered as the gain is also adjusted at the board . Readjusted gain all the way through . Started with bodypaks adjusted so meter on reciever read around zero at average vocalist levels and just flirted with red a extreme peaks . Adjusted gain at board so meter on individual mics read around zero or a little less at normal levels and peaked around +6 . Adjusted amp gain until I had a bit more volume than I needed . Mics sound good now with no feedback problems . Oh , well , earn while you learn . Thanks for the comments sometimes it's too easy to blame the equipment and it's helpful to compare notes with other people .

Great job working thru your gain structure.

This is a great example of if your gain structure isn't done properly, the problems created can be far and wide.

And with proper gain staging, it's astounding how good even cheap gear sounds, and I say this making specific reference to Behr****er. I am not a B** basher and have heard this gear sound incredible when configured properly.

Had the gain up fairly high on the bodypak , meter on the reciever hitting the red quite a bit . I didn't really think that mattered as the gain is also adjusted at the board . Readjusted gain all the way through . Started with bodypaks adjusted so meter on reciever read around zero at average vocalist levels and just flirted with red a extreme peaks . Adjusted gain at board so meter on individual mics read around zero or a little less at normal levels and peaked around +6 . Adjusted amp gain until I had a bit more volume than I needed . Mics sound good now with no feedback problems . Oh , well , earn while you learn . Thanks for the comments sometimes it's too easy to blame the equipment and it's helpful to compare notes with other people .

If this mic has done production duty in the past with actors wearing stage makeup - occasionally the protective element cap (and hence the element itself) will become clogged with makeup - with the obvious result being boomy sound (due to blocking of high frequencies) as well as reduced gain. Might be worth a look as it is easy for an actor to scrape the element against their cheek when removing the mic. Clogged elements are an occasional problem, making it a good move to check for this prior to each use.

Regards,
Mark

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back