Craft glass in fixtures

Gary Webber

I was in my local craft store and found glass for stained glass. I was wondering how it would work as gel or even in the gobo slot of an ETC source IV. My big concern is safety. Can that type of glass handle the heat? I'm afraid of it shattering and showering glass over my audience. I'm a volunteer tech director for a church, I have no budget but lots of creative ideas.

I would not think that that type of glass could stand up to such heat . The front end of the fixture has a wide variance of heat so the glass is not evenly heated causing much stress and the likelihood of breakage. Apollo and rosco and others have glass gobos designed to take the heat that may be of interest.
proxy.php
proxy.php

That craft glass is the weakest stuff there is. Its not tempered. It will blow apart in your fixture. Also, I could not imagine it would be cheaper then a 6 dollar sheet of gel.

That craft glass is the weakest stuff there is. Its not tempered. It will blow apart in your fixture. Also, I could not imagine it would be cheaper then a 6 dollar sheet of gel.

It would be cheaper in the long term, especially for deep saturated colors that you use a lot. It's more expensive though when your picking out glass shards from a marley floor, or paying someones hospital bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back