Create prism effect w/ conventional fixtures? Image Multiplexer Substitute

taylors

I am the lighting designer for a black box production of The Little Prince. There are many parts where "the starts come out." I know that I want to cover the set and the audience with starts using 4 SourceFours. I really would like to have four Image Multiplexers. But $400 for 4 of them are no where in sight. This is the effect that I would like to have with each fixture.

Screen Shot 2013-11-02 at 12.06.43 PM.png

How can I create this prism effect to multiply one image?
Is there a place to get the Image Multiplexers cheeper?
Is there another product like the Image Multiplexer?
Can I make my own gadget to make this same effect?
Are there any other options?

Thanks!

I am the lighting designer for a black box production of The Little Prince. There are many parts where "the starts come out." I know that I want to cover the set and the audience with starts using 4 SourceFours. I really would like to have four Image Multiplexers. But $400 for 4 of them are no where in sight. This is the effect that I would like to have with each fixture.

View attachment 10170

How can I create this prism effect to multiply one image?
Is there a place to get the Image Multiplexers cheeper?
Is there another product like the Image Multiplexer?
Can I make my own gadget to make this same effect?
Are there any other options?

Thanks!

You may want to try using a mirror ball or a panel with some mirror squares. It may not get you exactly what you're looking for, but it should be a step in the right direction.

If you have an old LCD monitor laying around that is beyond saving, I've found that they generally have some kind of flexible plastic sheet between the glass panels that will duplicate images (side by side) like a prism. I tried it in a micro ellipse gel frame but I don't know how they would take the heat from a Source Four. Might be a cool experiment though!

you could buy some cheap mirrors and cut them into roughly inch squares, glue these onto a plate or other concave surface with an adjustable clamp, this is basically what is used in many "moon" effects.
So you focus the light into the dish and move the dish to where you are illuminating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back