Design Creative ways to run DMX

agcraig

I'm designing a high school's musical. The show is The Wiz. The auditorium has 96dimmers, an ETC ION, and NO DMX anywhere. The only DMX node I found is the connection from the console to the dimmer rack. The space is large, and the hang positions are difficult to get to. I have about an $800 budget for rentals. I want to rent a few movers, such as Martin MAC 350's and MAC 250's for multiple purposes. However, the only problem I am having, is the lack of DMX. I could rent wireless DMX, which is expensive. Running physical DMX would also be costly, because of the amount I need. Is there a way to transmit the DMX over a dedicated WIFI network with Ethernet to DMX boxes? Has anyone ever encountered a problem like this? What is the best way to go about this?

DMX over Wifi would require a network node to do the protocol conversion, and would be highly susceptible to communication failure.

The least expensive and most reliable option is to run a DMX cable from the second port of the Ion to one of the rental fixtures and then daisy-chain to subsequent fixtures. If you a renting the fixtures, you should also be able to rent the DMX cable necessary to connect them to your console. It should be a fraction of the rental cost of the fixture.

You can use IP-DMX nodes (e.g. ENTTEC: OPEN DMX ETHERNET ODE Lighting Control,RDM,DMX USB PRO - Australian Made ) to send DMX over any IP network. I'd recommend Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi, since (depending on your existing wireless infrastructure) congestion is congestion, no matter what network it's occurring on. It will work fine in testing, of course, because by definition you'll only find out once the audience - and accompanying hundreds of smartphones - are in their seats.

sk8rsdad is right, though, it'll most likely be cheaper to rent the DMX cable and run it straight than to rent network nodes + wifi APs/exact same length of CAT5, plus it'll be completely plug-and-play.

Last edited:
How large is the space? How long is your run from the board to your first mover? Or from the dimmer racks to your first mover?

I agree with everyone else so far and say your best bet is to just rent the cable and run that. If you are looking to save some money you can do DMX over Cat5 but if your already renting the movers just talk with your rental company and they can give you all the info (and cable) you need. If money is an issue see if you can live with one less mover and use that money for cable instead, if you do that you will have money left over for say an I-Cue or something similar to help fill that void.

I would imagine the distance from my ION to my first mover would be between 150-200 feet (dressed properly)

How large is the space? How long is your run from the board to your first mover? Or from the dimmer racks to your first mover?

I agree with everyone else so far and say your best bet is to just rent the cable and run that. If you are looking to save some money you can do DMX over Cat5 but if your already renting the movers just talk with your rental company and they can give you all the info (and cable) you need. If money is an issue see if you can live with one less mover and use that money for cable instead, if you do that you will have money left over for say an I-Cue or something similar to help fill that void.

Unless there is no physical way to run DMX, a couple 100' DMX cables will be your simplest option. They should cost next to nothing compared to a couple ML.
I travel with a 300' DMX snake. If I don't get the snake, 2 -100' DMX cables normally gets me where I need to go. I normally pack more, then am surprised how far 200' gets me.

Is there a DMX passthrough on the dimmer rack?

And you've never had an issue with Attenuation when running that long? (ethernet has an attenuation factor of about 300feet) I just don't want to get all of the cable run and have an issue getting the data to the units.

Unless there is no physical way to run DMX, a couple 100' DMX cables will be your simplest option. They should cost next to nothing compared to a couple ML.
I travel with a 300' DMX snake. If I don't get the snake, 2 -100' DMX cables normally gets me where I need to go. I normally pack more, then am surprised how far 200' gets me.

Is there a DMX passthrough on the dimmer rack?

Well for about $800 you can buy a wireless DMX solution from rc4 wireless, but that kills your budget. Just rent a few hondos and run it from the board. Think a few people in this thread described how. Good luck!

Cable is the most reliable, and cheapest, even with hundreds of feet of runs. Remember opto-SPLITTERS are your friend. They will not only boost and maintain a clean signal, they'll shorten cable runs when you have to get to multiple positions. Since you're going to rent fixtures, inquire about the cost of cable & splitter rental as well. My guess is they'll include at least some cable for free if you're renting fixtures. And did you ask about an educational discount? Some rental places offer that as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cable is the most reliable, and cheapest, even with hundreds of feet of runs. Remember SPLITTERS are your friend. They will not only boost and maintain a clean signal, they'll shorten cable runs when you have to get to multiple positions. Since you're going to rent fixtures, inquire about the cost of cable & splitter rental as well. My guess is they'll include at least some cable for free if you're renting fixtures. And did you ask about an educational discount? Some rental places offer that as well.

Splitters or opto-isolators?

I was assuming that a rental house would have better quality products, like Fleenor, that have some isolation properties built into their splitters. But maybe I'm just spoiled by working in a larger market with high quality inventory. although Elation offers "electronic and optical isolation" in theirs.

I was assuming that a rental house would have better quality products, like Fleenor, that have some isolation properties built into their splitters. But maybe I'm just spoiled by working in a larger market with high quality inventory. although Elation offers "electronic and optical isolation" in theirs.

Chauvet include opto-isolation and mechanical isolation in theirs plus they provide separate power supplies for the input and output electronics.

I can't imagine a scenario where running cables from one fixture to the next would be impossible (or even impractical). If you need to go wireless from the console to the first fixture then just rent a decent quality wireless DMX device. It can't be that expensive, I think I have mine at $65 for a transmitter and two receivers (W-DMX brand). If you really need wireless at every single fixture see about renting units with wireless built in. Many of the Elation movers have receivers in them (and allow for programming off an internal battery) and all you would need is the Elation transmitter.

Colloquially, there's no difference. There are very few splitters that don't have opto-isolation, hence opto-splitter. len just left off the opto part. I'm sure he's not talking about Y-cable s, or passive splitters that have no isolation.
Technically an opto-isolator can refer to a one-input/one-output device (DFD DMXOPTO-5), but these are very seldom used. Most rental shops have standardized on DFD model: 125, but others are certainly acceptable as well. I like the Enttec D-Split, primarily because of its price point.

Very few installed dimmer rack have a DMX Out/DMX Thru, and installing one oneself is likely against code and against manufacturer's recommendations. See http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/21074-dmx-inputs-outputs.html#post188775 , post #14. Plus, dimmer racks often aren't in convenient locations to the stage, and are in a sealed room.

Very few installed dimmer rack have a DMX Out/DMX Thru, and installing one oneself is likely against code and against manufacturer's recommendations. See http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/21074-dmx-inputs-outputs.html#post188775 , post #14. Plus, dimmer racks often aren't in convenient locations to the stage, and are in a sealed room.

Mine has in/thru, but it's a portable rack not an installed Sensor unit. I also built a panel with 3/5 pin I/O so I can use 3 or 5 pin cable as needed. But I guess that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back