Current Bass amp on Rider question

Lextech

My life has changed and I no longer deal with the amount of riders I used to so i am forced to ask a question. So at one point in time you could meet almost every rider out there with a GK 800 and a pair of Harke 4x10 cabs. So I will ask those of you who see riders everyday, what is the new "I want the $10,000 new toy but if you have a (insert answer here) bass amp I will be just fine" bass amp? We lean more to the Jazz/no metal/broadway side of things, leaning toward head and cab, but if everyone is using combos will look at those to.

Thanks,

John

Bump de Bump. No one here working for a sound company or PAC that has to provide backline on occasion?

I am TD for a folk festival, and we of course provide backline. However we rent what we need based on riders for that year, its just easier if someone asks for something in particular to give it to them and then make the rest who don't really care as much use it as well.
Generally with the rest of the work I do backline is either rented, borrowed or brought by the band. Not purchased.

Purchased backline would save money, however enough bands want something specific. It is nice to be able to cater to needs and wants of groups, it makes them much happier. As for groups who have no real preference, my experience is the only thing they ask for is something of a reasonable size and a separate head (ie not combo).

Id suggest you go though the riders you've had for the last while and select whatever most fits the bill of what people are asking for in your venue.

Thank you for your response. Maybe I should rephrase the question. Renting backline where I am is very cost prohibitive. What I overpay for requires lots of driving or costly shipping. I am trying to find out if there is currently a equal to the old RB800 and 4x10 that will work for anyone basically. Not Jaco, not Lemy, I understand sometimes you need two SVTs and a pair of 8x10s. What are you all providing that the bass player while not thrilled can still get the job done.

I see 8x10 Ampeg SVT 8x10s most often when it comes to bass amps brought in by backline companies. Matching Ampeg head, generally. I don't see riders, but I do see a decent number of bands come through venues that I work in and a lot of backline. Many carry SVTs and many have the backline company bring them.

I'll second the Ampegs. We are a 300 seat house and their PN-410's are almost too powerful, we had to keep them down around 3 on the dial. After the show I will usually ask the bassist how the liked them, and so far it's been all good reviews.

Thank you for your response. Maybe I should rephrase the question. Renting backline where I am is very cost prohibitive. What I overpay for requires lots of driving or costly shipping. I am trying to find out if there is currently a equal to the old RB800 and 4x10 that will work for anyone basically. Not Jaco, not Lemy, I understand sometimes you need two SVTs and a pair of 8x10s. What are you all providing that the bass player while not thrilled can still get the job done.

I still own my 800RB and use it weekly w/ a 4x10 and a 15. Everyone still takes it, Jazz guys included. Last night for Ginger Baker we needed 2 bass rigs and we brought in two 800RB's and two of the newer neo 4x10's. The spec was a 400RBQIII and they took the sub. I see 400RBIV regularly. I would not buy an SVT unless you really need it. The jazz guys will not be happy. If you do go that way get a microbass as well, those are still pretty popular... not as much as they were but you still see them every once in awhile.

I see 8x10 Ampeg SVT 8x10s most often when it comes to bass amps brought in by backline companies. Matching Ampeg head, generally. I don't see riders, but I do see a decent number of bands come through venues that I work in and a lot of backline. Many carry SVTs and many have the backline company bring them.
That was the standard in the 1970's and is still the standard ?!! Now THAT is staying power!!

That was the standard in the 1970's and is still the standard ?!! Now THAT is staying power!!

Keep in mind that SVT is almost always for a rock act, Jazz guys hate them. Way too much power for them and the sound horrible on a stand up bass.

As far as "staying power" goes on the SVT, they are in the same camp with the Fender Twin and Deluxe. Best investment you can make is on a good Yamaha drum kit, fender twin, and a good GK bass setup.

Just whatever you do... NEVER buy a keyboard. At one point we kicked around the idea of buying a Triton but it seems even with all the midi stuff out there people still want the keyboard to do stuff on its own. Nord is making a killing of that. The resale value of a Nord keyboard is still incredibly high.

I will say that if it's not an Ampeg SVT setup it's generally a GK head & matching 4x10 cab. Don't know model details but that's pretty standard for the non-SVT folks.

As far as keys go, should you absolutely need to get a keyboard, get whatever the latest iteration of the Nord Stage is. It makes everyone but the weirdest, pickiest key guys happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back