Custom Gobos

I've got to agree with the rest of my peers when they suggest Apollo. I had to do a custom company logo for a boat show booth that I was working on. I borrowed a strand ellipsoidal from a theatre I was working at. It had a 750 watt lamp in it and I only had enough power in the booth for a 575W so in my wondrous ability to screw up simple tasks I unknowingly screwed the bench focus on the instrument. The day before the show I set up all my lighting and before I could focus the gobo it was fried!
I called Apollo and (because I still hadn't figured out my mistake) swore the instrument was focused and the problem was with the gobo.
They 2 dayed the new gobo and I was in business (of course after a bench focus).

I really hold them in high regard!

As has been mentioned, be careful of copyright issues. Also I believe for all of the major manufacturers you need to make the actual purchase through a dealer. Generally what that mean is that the dealer submits an order to the manufacturer, but you deal directly with the manufacturer for the artwork. I have always had my custom templates done through Apollo, they do a great job and they work well with you to get the artwork ready.
Here are some other things to think about. If you are doing text, you should consider EDLT lenses for your projecting unit. Also, it is really a must that you have the template made in "A" size (unless you are not using source 4's/SLs/selecons). The larger image area of an "A" size template helps a lot with readability.
If you can, post the artwork and we may be able to give more pointers.

I have the art on my computer but how do I post it here?

I have the art on my computer but how do I post it here?
1. Click "reply" as you usually do.
2. See the paperclip icon next to the smiley face? Click that.
3. Click "Browse" in the new window that opens.
4. Navigate until the file you want appears on the command line and click "Open."
5. Click "Upload" in the window that opened.
6. At the top right, click "Close this window."
7. Type in the reply text you want and click "Submit reply" as you normally do.

OR

Just send the file to Kelite ([email protected]) as an attachment from whatever mail program you use, and do whatever he says. Even if you decide you must use Rosco, he can/will help you. He's just that kind of loving, helpful guy.:)

Attachments

• CTBs.pdf
    22.1 KB · Views: 389
Ok, here is the file for the gobo.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped so far.

Attachments

• for curtain.jpg
    for curtain.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 238
Hey, what do you know it worked! Okay, here are the edits you need to make, with the caveat that I haven't had a custom gobo made since the days of doing it on illustration board by hand and sending that to Theatre Magic in Columbus, OH (pre-Apollo and maybe pre-Rosco doing custom gobos.)

1. Unless you're willing to pay for a glass image, at significantly greater cost than the $50-$150 previously quoted, you need to make the image B&W. White letters on a black background.
2. This means eliminating the yellow, or changing it to red.
3. Once it is white on black, you need to connect the letters so you don't have any un-supported white, i.e. the "o" can't be o's, they have to be () otherwise you would just get a •.
4. I don't know what format the file is in, but some prefer certain file types. Here's the site and a PDF for Rosco's custon gobos.
5. I still think you need some green tropical leaves to go with your text.

Hope this helps.

I've sent artwork to Apollo like that several times, and asked for a steel gobo. It's never been a problem for them to convert it. I don't believe they charged extra, either. But I could be wrong. I would just send it along, specifying the size you want, when you need it by, and who you plan on ordering it through. Apollo doesn't deal directly with the customer. You need to be a stocking dealer for their products in order to order from them directly. Bill @ ESC is a dealer, so he could handle the order for you.

Worst case scenario, they tell you either you need to re-do it, or they charge extra to convert it to black and white. Assuming you don't need it urgently, they'll be able to send you a proof before you go to production with it.

I've sent artwork to Apollo like that several times, and asked for a steel gobo. It's never been a problem for them to convert it. I don't believe they charged extra, either. But I could be wrong. I would just send it along, specifying the size you want, when you need it by, and who you plan on ordering it through. Apollo doesn't deal directly with the customer. You need to be a stocking dealer for their products in order to order from them directly. Bill @ ESC is a dealer, so he could handle the order for you.
Worst case scenario, they tell you either you need to re-do it, or they charge extra to convert it to black and white. Assuming you don't need it urgently, they'll be able to send you a proof before you go to production with it.

This has been rather helpful, as many theater technicians will find themselves ordering a custom gobo for the FIRST time, sometime soon. Kudos to each of you helpful souls on the ControlBooth.

Apollo doesn't charge to convert colors or change fonts, add palm leaves, or any of that type of thing. We will generally pull the emailed or faxed artwork (often drawn on a wrinkled cocktail napkin :) ) and contact the dealer/end-user with questions regarding the details.

As Derek mentioned, projecting a simple palm leaf pattern or two beside the logo would look great- especially if these were gelled green. An example of palm leaf possibilities is shown below-

Oh yes, and we offer to send you an emailed 'proof' (at no added cost) before we cut the gobo, to ensure it's exactly the way you want it.

Last edited:
...<Hijack> How do I make this user name link work. Isn't "Kelite" correct?
No quotes, and it should work. edit: well, look at that, it worked when I quoted you, but not in your original post. I think the whole HTML formatting thing on CB is undergoing some revisions, as it's usually the other way 'round. Site Managers?

Back to topic. DHSLXOP, remember that you can make the text red, or any other color you choose later, by gelling the fixture. If you must have the look as in your artwork, you could also have TWO gobos made, one with the red and one with the yellow, but both out of steel, then hang two identical fixtures as close together as possible. Then write an effect that fades the yellow one up and down to give a sense of "movement" to the static image. In the olden days of 35mm slide programming, this was known as a "glowline." You still haven't told us what color the main curtain is, and that's important, as the colors will be dramatically different when projected onto a non-white surface.

Last edited:
I'm quoting the choir so to speak but....
Apollo doesn't charge to convert colors or change fonts, add palm leaves, or any of that type of thing. We will generally pull the emailed or faxed artwork (often drawn on a wrinkled cocktail napkin :) ) and contact the dealer/end-user with questions regarding the details.
I seriously thought ordering through Apollo was so easy I wondered and continue to wonder how this thread is still going!

I suppose it's just another illustration of just how helpful CB is. ;)

Jeff, I sometimes think of the stories of neighborhood folks sitting on their front porches each evening, mixed bag of kids playing in someone's front yard. Back in the day before TV took each family into the living room and away from the community they left outside. Fortunately, places like the ControlBooth and others have allowed us to pull up a chair on the porch and interact with others of like interests and values.

We may not know our physical neighbors as well as we'd like unless we make an effort to meet 'em- but we do have a valued neighborhood here at the ControlBooth. So sit back and keep rockin', the dogs will come out from beneath the porch chasing a cat soon enough!

:)

Apollo is perhaps the easiest and most customer service oriented company we deal with. It is truely a pleasure to represent them.

I feel really bad to say this, but the director told me today that we will not be using the gobo after all. Thanks to everyone who helped me out though, and I'll be sure to bookmark this post incase I ever need to make a custom gobo for something else. Thanks!

Don't feel bad, it's the nature of the business. We all understand. At least you didn't expend any money or too much effort. I feel bad, not sure for whom, when we load-in and set-up 20 Synchrolites, then they get cut, costing (someone) thousands of dollars in labor and rental, all wasted. [And people wonder why pharmaceuticals are so expensive...oh, the stories I could tell about "corporate theatre."]

Just out of curiosity though, can you tell us why? Cost? Can you still put green palm leaves on the main curtain? And I will not rest until I know what color your main curtain is. You might as well tell me, or I'll bug you for life!;)

The front curtain is a red sort of color.

They decided to cut it because the show loads-in to the theatre on sunday, and by the time we could get the artwork redone and then sent out and then to get the gobo in, it would be too late. Plus I think the director is too stressed out at this point to be thinking about things like that and since she has do all the paperwork for paying through the offices, I think she decided we'd be better off not doing it all.

Ah, the joys of high school theater. Cut, cut, cut.

That's too bad, DHSLXOP. Maybe next time!

At least we got to exercise our wits for a moment or two!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back