Cyc fabric shrinking

tschnuckel

Our Cyc (15' x 41') is about 10 years old. When new it just kissed the deck. Now it is about 5" off the deck (shorter). During the summer the auditorium is rather humid. I'm assuming the moisture has caused it to shrink. It is also about 18-20" narrower, not at the top hem, but the sides and bottom "scoop" in.

Is this a common problem? Fixable? Preventable?

Obviously I could re-trim the batton - Dead hung. Our other stage curtains are also "short" too.

Assuming the cyc is seamless muslin ?
...During the summer the auditorium is rather humid. I'm assuming the moisture has caused it to shrink.
Moisture causes porous fibers to swell, not shrink. High heat in the dryer causes some garments to shrink.

Dead hung. Our other stage curtains are also "short" too.
I'm guessing the stage is sinking.

Never heard of a cyc shrinking in place. If anything, could see slight strectching as the fabric relaxes and ages.

Well, just because we love to answer questions with questions.... do you have a pipe in it? It might help the height to increase the weight of the pipe or add a second 1" pipe. for the scooping, which is not uncommon at all, adding cyc-stretchers would be a good idea, capture the sides between 2 1x4's and tie the 1x to some bungy and tie the bungy to the back wall or to a couple uprights on 50# bases. It does sound like your curtains are shrinking with age. at 10 years they are probably ready to be replaced and by most standards, at the least, they are ready to be retreated. have they been flame tested recently?

Rope and fabric do shrink or become shorter when wet. They may or may not stretch out. As the fibres swell, the effect on the twist causes the shortening. Of course, repeated cleanings could also shrink them.

Try stretching. But unless IFR fabric, Van is right, probably time to replace.

There is a pipe in the bottom. I may run some chain through it for added weight. Didn't think about Cyc stretchers ... duh. In the mean time, I'm just going to adjust the trim for the next show in 2 wks ... Some former RiverDancers who probably don't want their feet visible under the cyc when they crossover.

Replacement won't happen soon. It's a school and they are pitching a fit about the FCC wireless mic changes as it is. The community that was the driving financial force for this auditorium still sees it as "new" and not needing upgrades or maintenance - pretty sure if I mention fire testing & re-treatment, they will look at me like I'm crazy. If the fire marshal says it, they listen, but I'm not about to blow the whistle.

I've never had to take of this kind of stuff in theater before. It was someone else's area, so I'm a little rusty coming up with good ideas on my own.

So curtains do shrink over time too? or is more just the muslin type fabrics of cycs? And high humidity would defiantly be causing this? They also deny that 75% humidity is a bad thing during the summer ... I'm trying to lump as many problems on the humidity as possible LOL. So if this cyc shrinking is one, perfect! I've also read that high humidity kills the fire retardant in curtains too.

There is a pipe in the bottom. I may run some chain through it for added weight. Didn't think about Cyc stretchers ... duh. In the mean time, I'm just going to adjust the trim for the next show in 2 wks ... Some former RiverDancers who probably don't want their feet visible under the cyc when they crossover.

Replacement won't happen soon. It's a school and they are pitching a fit about the FCC wireless mic changes as it is. The community that was the driving financial force for this auditorium still sees it as "new" and not needing upgrades or maintenance - pretty sure if I mention fire testing & re-treatment, they will look at me like I'm crazy. If the fire marshal says it, they listen, but I'm not about to blow the whistle.

I've never had to take of this kind of stuff in theater before. It was someone else's area, so I'm a little rusty coming up with good ideas on my own.

So curtains do shrink over time too? or is more just the muslin type fabrics of cycs? And high humidity would defiantly be causing this? They also deny that 75% humidity is a bad thing during the summer ... I'm trying to lump as many problems on the humidity as possible LOL. So if this cyc shrinking is one, perfect! I've also read that high humidity kills the fire retardant in curtains too.
@tschnuckel In a dead hung situation, if / when your pipes are dead hung with welded link (or basically any rated) chain, you're ahead of the game from a moisture / shrinkage perspective. Granted, if your chains are unplated, they may rust and stain your fabrics but moisture won't affect their lengths.
If / when your pipes are dead hung with hemp / rope, moisture will cause the ropes to swell, in turn causing them to shrink. In the era of counter-weighted hemp houses, the longer (far side) lines were thus more effected by humidity than the shorter (near side) ropes resulting in drops, et al, being affected on an angular basis rather than remaining parallel to the the deck and merely rising / falling vertically.
Possibly I haven't worded this clearly but I suspect you see what I'm saying.
How cloth is affected by moisture, I'll leave to the fabric experts.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Yes, curtains do shrink over time. Especially in high humidity areas. All fabrics, however Cottons and natural fibers are much more susceptible to it. Humidity will also effect the fire retardant solutions on your curtains. It will cause it to leach out as dust. Again, if they are cotton and not an IFR <polyester> fabric. Humidity will also cause your curtains to attract more dust which, again, affects their flame retardance this holds true for both IFR's and Cottons. <IFR = Inherently flame retardant>

I don't know if i'd call it "blowing a whistle. " Fire safety is/should be a concern of anyone working in a theatre.

If you are 'Just a student' then there is nothing wrong with saying, "Hey I was reading an article about Theatre safety and it said curtains were to be tested every 5 years and rigging systems every year; when were ours tested last?" If you are a teacher or a TD responsible for the theatre then it is your job to make sure the facility is safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back