Cyc lights on the cheap

Uncle Dirtnap

I am the unofficial technical consultant for the local high school theatre. Previous posts have helped me keep the aging 'great when installed in 92' system going strong, and last year we had great success with running some LED lighting using DMX over WiFi. It worked surprisingly well.

I'm sure the school had to have decent cyc lights when it was outfitted 20 years ago, but at this point there are 3 3 cell cyc lights, and they are not enough to make very much impact at all. I would love to order $14k worth of new cyc lights, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon. I'm trying to accomplish the most I can with a small amount of money (~ 1K at the outside) from the parent booster club.

We ordered some $80 LED lights last year to light two large window boxes, and that gave me faith that maybe there are some options that are not completely terrible.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks-

-rj

Hitting a cyc from the top and bottom makes for a wonderfully even wash, and allows for some amazing sunset looks and fades. Buying used will be your best bet, as decent LED cyc units start at $1k, cheaper stuff tend to have uneven washes or poor color range.

A deep rummage through old storage closets and dressing room stacks have revealed 5 3-cell cyc lights, 10 FC-1 cyc lights, and around 5 12-light r40 border lights with glass gels. I think I'll go old school if I can remember how :D

-rj

And can buy bulbs. Just had a report that the quartz market is booming for USHIO (and legalizing dope is only a small part of that.)

A little grow light traffic. I can't recall the main uses. Something to do with making pcbs or chips I think.

I won't say more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back