Daisy Chaining Audio Interface's

NickVon

Overall, is there a method to connect two different manufactures's audio interfaces to a single computer; ideally via a firewire daisy chain through one of them.

My primary device is a Saffire Pro 40, and the secondary is a M-Audio Firewire 410. Two this point I've had trouble just getting the 410 be recognized on the PC again anyways but it worked once before. I do have to Firewire cards in the PC (so 2 Buses.) The Pro40 manual indicates you can run multiple Saffire interfaces through it's dual firewire but makes no mention of other hardware. I'm curious if there is anyway to make the 410 work in this manner through the 2nd Firewire on the back of the Pro40 as it seems to me that it's the limitation of their software. And since the 410 has it's own control routing software can the firewire jack on the 410 simply act as conduit.

I'm looking to want to take both of these interfaces on the road in the next 2 weeks but i'll be relegated to only a Macbook Pro, with one firewire 800 bus on it.

Any thoughts or potentially more audio interface oriented forums where I can post this question?

There's always Gearslutz.com.

However I'm not exactly sure what issue you would be running into Firewire natively supports daisy chaining devices as long as you don't exceed the total bandwidth 400mb/s for 6 pin FW400.

Have you tried using the MBP yet? They tend to be more stable with FW devices than PCs.

There's always Gearslutz.com.

However I'm not exactly sure what issue you would be running into Firewire natively supports daisy chaining devices as long as you don't exceed the total bandwidth 400mb/s for 6 pin FW400.

Have you tried using the MBP yet? They tend to be more stable with FW devices than PCs.

The more i think about it, maybe i need to uninstall the FW410, "reinstall it, then Plug it in, in the new "chain." Maybe it's not smart enough to detect it all the way through the FW series. I'll hvae to give this a shot tomorrow on the main PC, and then move on to trying it with the MBP

If you'll be using this setup with a Mac why would you even be wasting time with trying to make it work on the PC? Is the PC a Dell? Certain firewire chipsets and audio do not play well together. I have an external PCMCIA Firewire card for use with my PC (back in those days), but I now use a MBP with absolutely no issues. There's no reason you can't daisy chain them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back