Dewalt Drill Recall

Uh, before the new TD we had 2 or 3 screw guns, maximum. We also didn't have enough batteries and such, so we lost a lot of time. The new TD purchased a half dozen Makita screwguns, which came with the flashlight attachments and two batteries total. Apparently it was cheaper that way. So of course we don't use the flashlights, so we have two batteries and one charger per screwgun... classy.

We have, I believe, a DeWalt chop saw, with a laser. The laser makes my life. Hey, question though, what do I do without a laser?! (That is actually a serious question, never had to learn.)

Ah, let me clarify:

I presume with the power off, I pull the blade down, to line in question, until the blade lines up with the line in question. I'm just hoping there are no special quarks.

For example, with the laser one has to keep in mind that the chop saw cuts slightly to the right of the laser, so If One wanted to take off the area of wood where the pencil line is, in addition to everything else, one would have to place the laser slightly past the line in question.

We have, I believe, a DeWalt chop saw, with a laser. The laser makes my life. Hey, question though, what do I do without a laser?! (That is actually a serious question, never had to learn.)

Without a laser you,
Mark your length with a carrot. caret ^
You grab your speed square, outta your back pocket, and line it up on the carrot. caret ^
You mark a square line all the way across the piece you are cutting.
You set the piece on the chopsaw bed, firmly against the fence.
You lower the blade, to the point that it touches the wood, make sure the OUTSIDE kerf of the blade < remember every tooth of the blade is angled slightly outward from the plane of the blade itself> lines up with the proper side of your cut line.
Raise the blade back to it's top position.
Start the saw.
Make your cut.
After several years on one saw you get to where you can throw a piece of lumber into the right spot 4 out of 10 times, but you always double check.

can you believe Google's spell check didn't know the word Kerf, just now ?
and earlier it couldn't identify the word combust. Something Weird in Google-land

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kerf tip, ah, that's it! Thanks Van.

As an FYI, this section is SOP:

Mark your length with a carrot. caret ^
You grab your speed square, outta your back pocket, and line it up on the carrot. caret ^
You mark a square line all the way across the piece you are cutting.
You set the piece on the chopsaw bed, firmly against the fence.

Figuring SOP is yet another hip term I'm too old to know I looked it up on Wikipedia and found this bit of rather interesting but useless trivia about the word Sop:

"A sop is a piece of bread or toast with which liquid food of some sort is soaked up and then eaten. In medieval cuisine the sop was one of the most common dishes. It was composed of various liquids such as wine, soup or broth served with bread that was meant to be picked apart to soak up the food. At elaborate feasts bread was often pre-cut into finger-sized pieces rather than broken off by the diners themselves. The modern term for soup is directly derived from the sop."

Well, I'm not hep on all this kean jargon the groovy kids are using these days, but I reckoned SOP was a lazy way of writing S.O.P., Standard Operating Procedure. Did I pwn that? 22, skidoo. Totally tubular, man.:doh:

I've never made a mark on a piece of wood with a carrot, either, hard to get a fine enough point.:mrgreen:

Well, I'm not hep on all this kean jargon the groovy kids are using these days, but I reckoned SOP was a lazy way of writing S.O.P., Standard Operating Procedure. Did I pwn that? 22, skidoo. Totally tubular, man.:doh:
I've never made a mark on a piece of wood with a carrot, either, hard to get a fine enough point.:mrgreen:

Yeah you put the carrot in the sharpener and it just makes a nasty mess. Although if you suspend a glass below it's delicious drinking.

Should also be "hip to all this keen jargon". Also I see the smiley war has begun.

Alright, I'm going to quit using Google Spell checker, it doesn't seem to know the difference between Carrot, Karat and caret.

Alright, I'm going to quit using Google Spell checker, it doesn't seem to know the difference between Carrot, Karat and caret.

Firefox's spell checker says all three are spelled correctly.

sending back one if not possibly two (gieven one out on tour at the moment) cordless drills of this type. Good topic, this concept of recall should raise to its own very important class or rating in importance if not pop up add no matter the brand. Remember some lamps or was it lights that also recently were recalled recently but not beyond that beyond it. Such info about a recall is good to know. Also printed up and checked my various other DeWalt and Milwaukee tools listed on the website that were also in general recall today / in the past few years. Luckily I don't have any of the models listed. Short of this website and or McMaster Carr sending me a letter saying that one of the tools they sold me was under recall, I will not have thought twice about the subject.

Reminds me of a few years back the Klien Tool "Hot Tool" recall where they were taking end user tools back, adding a cap to the end of them and calling it good. Glue on the end cap - for what ever reason these tools were of concern didn't work in end caps falling off the pliers I had upgraded. Still, sort of of very much advertised recall, one will have never known. On the web however it should be much easier to recall a tool given friends in the industry telling you about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back