Control/Dimming difference between a Demultipler and DMX-Analog?

roh

I would like to use a Behringer LC 2412 desk to control a older Strand cd80 dimmer pack, its analog.
Behringer site says a 'demultiplexer' can be used to convert dmx to analog - is this the same as a DMX-Amx box?

It also has a 15 pin analog out, but the Strands 01-0vdc is 25 pin - guess that wont work either?

thanks!!

There are three "protocols" at work here. DMX is the modernish digital protocol used on just about everything, see the wiki for more info.

AMX is a pre-DMX protocol that was made by strand and later adopted by other companies.

Analog or 0-10v is the oldest and simplest form of remote lighting control. It requires a one piece of copper for every dimmer and a common.

Though all of these can talk to each other through converters, none are electrically simular. If you have 0-10v dimmers, the only way to control them is with either a 0-10v console or a DMX to 0-10v converter.

You could wire that 0-10v out on your console to control some of your dimmers.

In addition to what Footer stated, the Behringer LC2412, can operate 24 channels of dimmers through the DMX and an additional 2 channels of non-dim meant for foggers and strobes. The analog (15 pin sub D connector) only supports 12 channels. It is possible to gang two LC2412 boards together with a DIN cable that will allow you to control 24 channels of analog. The better option would be to get a DMX to analog converter. There are many companies that build such a device. The most expensive would be Doug Fleenor, but considering that you are using a Behringer console, that would be over kill. Both lightronics and Northlight DMX make a good unit for a lot less money.
The Behringer console is just about the least user friendly console on the market and it won' take any time at all before you will want to replace it. Mine has become a test bed for my work bench where I repair equipment that requires DMX. For one channel at a time, it is just fine, but programming it will drive you mad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back