Dimmer Banks

Helllo Control Booth,

I have two EDI MX Systems Dimmer Banks and I would like to shut them down for a period of one month however I am having trouble with Auditorium Tech Team since they say that shutting it down would causae condensation and essentially damage the equipment.
These two dimmer banks are located in a sealed room with two airconditioining units. I am located in Trinidad a tropical country with either rain or sun. I need to know how serious are the implications of shutting down the equipment.

Yours Sincerely,
Kevon M. A. Thomas
Fascilities

Do you want to shut down the ac units as well? The humidity would not be good. If this is once in many years event, I wonder if the modules could be pulled and moved to a humidity controlled storage area for the duration, leaving just buss bars and wire. Others here will have better views than mine.

i would need to shutdown down the AC Units as well since new panels would be installed in the area. I see that you confirmed their concerns and I guess i would need to provide some sort of humidity controlled environment.

I would keep the air moving in the room if you shut them down and temp in the AC units or yes you would have to do something to combat the humidity.

Welcome!
As Bill suggested, if you remove the modules and store them in an environmentally controlled area that would be best. We did an installation in Panama a few years back and our technicians still talk about what a killer the humidity was on electronics and electrical gear.

You still might have problems with back-plane and buss corrosion. Generally, there is no problem with equipment being powered off, but your circumstance is unique. If it is a sealed room, how about a dehumidifier? It wouldn't take much power than AC and as long as you arranged to provide drainage, or were diligent about having the unit emptied, it should do the trick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back