Control/Dimming Dimmer Packs

So I currently have 6 NSI DDS 9800 dimmer packs.

I've had them for quite a while and I have a couple questions:
- When is a good time to look for replacements?
- What would be a good replacement? (I'm looking for similar wattage and 8+ outlets)

I did some research and came across:
-ETC SmartPack
-NSI DS Rack

Last edited:
Are you having any problems with them? I have some dimmers that are over 40 years in age. Lifespan is really determined by how hard a pack is used and how it gets treated. (or if it's control system becomes obsolete ;) )
If they are in road cases and are in good shape and have not been vibrated to bits, then why replace them? The 9800 is a native microplex dimmer with optional DMX. If these are already DMX, work, and are meeting your needs, then I can't see any logic to changing them. If they are old and beat, that's a different story. That said, it's always good to have some spare capacity and an extra pack as dimmers do fail and can get damaged.

There are no issues with them as of right now and they are permanently mounted, but I actually need to expand. I'm renting lights for a show and I'll definitely need more packs.

Over the next few months/year I'll be permanently expanding my fixture inventory. When this happen's, I'll need more. If there's no reason to replace my current ones, then I won't.

But as a separate topic, what would be a good pack with equal or greater quality than the 9800?

Are you having any problems with them? I have some dimmers that are over 40 years in age. Lifespan is really determined by how hard a pack is used and how it gets treated. (or if it's control system becomes obsolete ;) )
If they are in road cases and are in good shape and have not been vibrated to bits, then why replace them? The 9800 is a native microplex dimmer with optional DMX. If these are already DMX, work, and are meeting your needs, then I can't see any logic to changing them. If they are old and beat, that's a different story. That said, it's always good to have some spare capacity and an extra pack as dimmers do fail and can get damaged.
We have 3 9800s and one 9600 (for our strip lights.) They are 20 year old and work as new, but I service them when they blow an SCR. I keep an inventory of spare parts bought on EBAY. I had explored replacing them at one time, but will wait 5 years. Their controllers are still being sold (we have 7524s). Agree with Yanks. I last researched ETC but was over $10,000 and the controller could only handle 99 cues (the one we could afford) vs the 300+ for nsi. Can't afford the better LEDs sow we wait. Also, you can get used 9800 on ebay for a few 100$ if you need to expand.

So I currently have 6 NSI DDS 9800 dimmer packs.

I've had them for quite a while and I have a couple questions:
- When is a good time to look for replacements?
- What would be a good replacement? (I'm looking for similar wattage and 8+ outlets)

I did some research and came across:
-ETC SmartPack
-NSI DS Rack

I'm always looking around for a replacement for everything. I have a bunch of Leviton D4dmx. They don't take a lot of abuse, but they're easily replaceable (inexpensive), although only 4 channels. A lot of users here don't like them, but I've never had an issue with Leprecon LD-360. They have 6 channels and can be purchased with edison, stagepin, and probably powercon, but require 2, 15amp circuits. But as long as the ones you have work ...

However, I now see the stuff you have is installed, not mobile. Given that, definitely a permanent dimmer rack? I would bet the overall cost would be less if you were to consider that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back