Control/Dimming Dimming 12v battery source

It would help to know the wattage of the lamp in question.

In general, dimming a DC source is done either with resistors, voltage regulators, or PWM circuits. A DC variable power supply would be the simplest off-the-shelf solution.

If the source could be one of your dimmers rather than a battery, then another alternative would be to get a suitable 120-to-12V transformer and dim the 12V bulb as you would any other conventional. Lamps don't actually care whether the source is DC or AC as long as it is within spec.

Last edited:
ood Morning Ken

take a look at this PWM kit
DC TO PULSE WIDTH MODULATOR KIT | AllElectronics.com
I've been using ALL Electronic for eons. They have some neat stuff for a surplus house.

Or you can go to yor local hoby shop, go to the R/C car counter & look at the SPEED CONTROLERS,
this would give you remote control option if its in the budget.

Last edited:
If you're an ebay'er, try searching for "PWM controller". Here's an example of one:
PWM Dimming Controller For LED Lights or Ribbon, 12 Volt 8 Amp, 3301 | eBay
As was already mentioned, this sort of thing can also be found at on-line hobby/robotic stores (of which there are many).
It'll be hard to know exactly how well these solutions will work in your exact application. The most important consideration (besides the 12VDC requirement) is the Amps... I'd suggest you get something rated at least 3X your actual (steady state) current draw (5X would be even better). Incandescent lamps exhibit big in-rush currents.. 10X is not unusual. The semiconductors used in PWM dimmers have pretty large peak current ratings, so the 3X-5X safety factor should do it

Last edited:
Incandescent lamps exhibit big in-rush currents.. 10X is not unusual.

These controllers are designed for motors... Motors have inrush currents multiple times their operating currents, Google suggests 5-6x is typical. (I'm too tired to try and find a real source and do the maths)
So unless you are maxing out a controller, you should be fine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back