Dinshah Health Society

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
I just received an email from a unknown, to me, individual who follows the practices of the Dinshah Health Society, asking for some Lene to Lux conversions. I was able to help him using the book Color Science for Lighting the Stage, Warfel and Klappert, Yale University Press, 1981.

Has anyone else ever heard of colored light therapy?

I remember in the early-80s, when I was working the sales counter of a theatrical supply company, someone came in asking for gels for this purpose. In any case, it seems these people need to update their methods to the more modern offerings from Apollo, GAM, Lee, and Rosco.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I saw a thing on this, and the website is total crock. Apparently, it works on sunlight or incandescent lamps, but not full spectrum lamps, because those have wavelength gaps, and some areas have higher peaks. Really now? Well shoot. I had no idea a fluorescent tube gave off poor light! But in all seriousness, as long as they are paying, i guess let them do what they want!?!

Never heard of colored light therapy or Chromotherapy, until now. A little sun light is good for you but this seems to take it to a new extreme. Seems like it would produce mostly psychological effects. Very interesting.

I actually have a book on this somewhere in my collection of random things with light. If I can find it, I'll post the ISBN. It is an entertaining read if nothing else.

There have been studies conducted on both the psycological effects of specific wavelengths as well as their actual affect on cellular growth and decay. A friend of mine actually wrote her honors thesis on the subject. (She was a psych/theatre double major). There are a lot of alternative medicines that use some of these concepts and basically rig a series of flashing pinspots that are supposed to channel good health and block bad.

Always seemed like a great gag to me, but with the prevalence of LEDs these days, who knows what will happen.

There are people using IR lasers to relieve pain, so why not color?

~Kirk

I've heard of a couple of variations of these things, and even had a parent of a student once who asked what I did with old gels and where he could buy new ones.

Actually chromatherphy is very successful in two main areas.

1) In parts of the world like the NWT where during part of the year they get very little sunlight, and thus need to rely on Fluorescent and HID lighting for most of the day. They found that the general health of the population, concentration in schoolrooms and depression were much less pronounced when they changed the lighting to more closely fit natural sunlight. They even had some success in changing the colour palette of the rooms, etc.

2) There is actually something called Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Light therapy has also been successful in treating this disease. I actually know people who every morning wear 'glasses' that shine light from LEDs towards their eyes to help combat this disorder (sometimes subscripted for those who cannot change the light in their environment). Light therapy has been much more successful than anti-depressants in fighting SAD.

Living in Canada, I am sure makes me more aware of this since I see it more often.

I would not be surprised if colored light has a lot of emotional/psychological impact on a person. I just have a feeling that you cant cure a cancer in my liver with a flashing yellow light or something, mainly because there is a lot of stuff blocking my liver from the light, right? If I had to guess, most of the positive benefits are results of improved psychological function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back