Dissecting Colortran 5/50....

Doug Lowthian

So I'm about to start dismantling and cleaning a bunch of 30 yr old Colortran 5/50 ellipsoidals which, I believe, have never been cleaned, ever. I have the manual with the exploded parts diagram to work with.

Any bits of advice? I'm a rank newbie but I know a screwdriver from a wrench...

Definitely take pictures as you go so you know how to put them back together. It will probably take two passes at cleaning the lenses if there is a covering of dust, grime, &c baked on. First try with 99% rubbing alcohol, then use a window cleaner (or better, Brillianize) for the second pass and a streak-free finish. For the reflector, try not to put too much elbow grease in to it, as it can remove the reflective coating on the reflector depending on what it is. Make sure your work area is well lit.

Ditto sound lights comment

Get cheap spray bottles and cotton rags, rubbing alcohol and Simple Green or equivalent.

The front lens tube comes out of the fixture (I believe), then if a single lens, just clean both sides, if 2 lenses, crack open the lens tube. Pay attention to how it all comes apart !

We dilute the alcohol with water, use cotton , clean outside of fixture with SG diluted 50/50 with water.

Check lamp type, make sure it's what it's supposed to be for your use. Check strain relief on the connector.

Then bench focus while pointed at the cyc or something (white wall). I built a bunch of these wooden stands years ago to support the unit while on a table.

Attachments

• IMG_1180.JPG
    IMG_1180.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 177
Out of grad school I worked in a theatre and there were maybe 150. There are a lot of parts - little rubber clips around lenses, "donuts", and other hardware. I seem to recall several parts to just the slider. All easy to sort out but just lots. And these are real gel burners in the shorter focal lengths.

Thanks all; good idea about photos as it comes apart.
Bill: I like the wood cradle; think I'll build that first.
I have lots of old peanut butter jars to put all the little bits and pieces in with lables.
I know I don't want to get to the end and find that i have one last screw with no idea where it goes!

Not specific to your fixtures, but at least some of these 30 steps should prove useful: https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/lighting-fixture-maintenance.12561/ .

@SteveB , those fixture stands are genius! Much easier than erecting a boom and sidearm, or lowering and then constantly walking around and/or ducking under the first electric all day.

...then use a window cleaner (or better, Brillianize) for the second pass and a streak-free finish. ...
I'd be careful about using anything other than alcohol or water when cleaning lenses. Some window cleaners with anti-streaking agents leave a microscopic residue that (i've heard) can get baked on and discolor when the lenses get hot. Although I believe @ship has said that JetDry rinse in the dishwasher is okay for plain glass lenses.

Paper coffee filters make great lint-free cloths for lens cleaning.

I'd be careful about using anything other than alcohol or water when cleaning lenses. Some window cleaners with anti-streaking agents leave a microscopic residue that (i've heard) can get baked on and discolor when the lenses get hot. Although I believe @ship has said that JetDry rinse in the dishwasher is okay for plain glass lenses.

I've used Brillianize for years and it is the best thing I've found for cleaning lenses. And it no longer costs $99 for a gallon like it used to! It did when I started using it. It has proven to not leave anything on any manufacturer's coated lenses, which is great. You also don't have to use much at all. Alcohol is good with some lens coatings but leaves others streaky in my experience. Martin lenses prefer an alcohol/water mixtures, V*L and Clay Paky lenses prefer Brillianize. I've cleaned various types of lenses for conventionals with Brillianize as well - S4 PARs, S4s, and some other random stuff (older leko & fresnel lenses). One of the great things about Brillianize is that unlike alcohol it will not damage the new generation of plastic lenses for LEDs, but that's beside the point in this thread.

I've used Brillianize for years and it is the best thing I've found for cleaning lenses. And it no longer costs $99 for a gallon like it used to! It did when I started using it.
Good Lord, I would hope not--as, according to the MSDS, it's 99.1% water! But I'll take your word that it works, and in the unlikely event I ever have to clean lenses again, I'll try it.

By far a difference between a dichroic reflector needs for cleaning and a Alzark Aluminum reflector - dish washer safe - even industrial dish washer safe.

Brillianize... a brand name or chemical I have never heard of before over many years. I'll have to look into such a thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back