DJ Software

Edrick

Premium Member
Hey,

Looking for suggestions on Mac OS X based DJ and Hardware interfaces for sound output you'd recommend. I have an M-Audio FastTrack Pro right now I use for regular Audio output to my studio monitors. So not sure if that'd be an option for the output.

However I'd like to find what you guys actually use to create the play lists, fade the music between tracks, etc...

You might have a broader opinion if you ask on the dj chat sites.

I don't visit them any longer, but there's start.mobilebeat.com
djchat,com, and djgold.com.

I used to use a pc, so I used Virtual DJ. I hear Rane Serato works either way.

I'll check out Traktor. I hopefully wont be using it much I personally dont do DJing but I'm going to be supplying the equipment for this event and have someone else actually DJ the music but I'll need to supply the software for him to mix.

If you do either, most DJs will want a pair of CD-Js for the physical interface.

I'll check out Traktor. I hopefully wont be using it much I personally dont do DJing but I'm going to be supplying the equipment for this event and have someone else actually DJ the music but I'll need to supply the software for him to mix.

So why not ask the DJ what software he wants? Although, chances are he already has a laptop running the software and may or may not even need the hardware interface to go along with it.

I don't know your situation but most sound companies and clubs that don't normally have a DJ seem to supply a way for the DJ to tie their equipment into the house or rental system but the DJ brings their own gear. If this is a special situation where it calls for you to supply everything or if you're putting together a house system then it would seem the DJ(s) involved could tell you what they'd like to have.

In this case the "DJ" I'm bringing in is rather new to this and doesn't own any of his equipment. Unfortunately there's no way to hire a full on experienced person that would have his own gear. The cost they're paying due to a very limited budget is way too low to get someone between our equipment, the cost of my time, and the cost of getting a DJ.

In this case the "DJ" I'm bringing in is rather new to this and doesn't own any of his equipment. Unfortunately there's no way to hire a full on experienced person that would have his own gear. The cost they're paying due to a very limited budget is way too low to get someone between our equipment, the cost of my time, and the cost of getting a DJ.
Sounds like an unusual situation as somebody has to purchase the equipment and the cost of the equipment would typically be the same whether you purchase it or they do. In most cases the DJ would be the most likely to be able to look at that as an investment and not just an expense.

Slightly related, this also makes me wonder about the media and the related rights. Does the DJ think they're going to show up and everything including the music to play will be there for them to use? If they're doing something like bringing the music on a laptop or PC and that same device would be used for their mixing then you could get into issues regarding loading the software you purchased on their computer and the related licensing.

It's going to be quite an interesting thing to work in. I really hate doing events for extremely low cost. But at least the wedding is local, and the fact that it's a wedding I can understand if they don't have a lot of money to put on a huge thing. So I'm trying to do whatever I can to work it into the budget.

If there is still interest in this thread, i'm happy to assist.

I"m currently running a Macbook pro with Virtual DJ 7 and 2 Pioneer CDJ-400 for controllers.

Happy to answer any questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back