Control/Dimming DMX 220v Relay (US)

More questions than answers here. What are you trying to achieve? Many ranges use both 240 and 120 at the same time, therefore a neutral must be present as well. An off-the-shelf range also pulls up to 50 amps, although a single burner will draw less than 20. SO, first question is, What exactly are you trying to achieve?

More questions than answers here. What are you trying to achieve? Many ranges use both 240 and 120 at the same time, therefore a neutral must be present as well. An off-the-shelf range also pulls up to 50 amps, although a single burner will draw less than 20. SO, first question is, What exactly are you trying to achieve?
We want to be able to turn a range on and off via the lighting console. I don't believe we need full use of the oven or all 4 ranges, just one. We are cooking picadillo on stage but the actor who can turn off the oven won't be present near the oven to turn it on due to blocking/time restrictions of cooking. I have a 100A 3 phase disconnect in the traproom where we'll be pulling power from.

If it where me I'd have this be a manual cue. If you're running your cable to a traproom you could have a technician on a headset down there throwing a knife switch at the appropriate time. It requires an extra body, but you also eliminate the potential fire hazard of the lighting board op accidentally turning the range on and letting it run unmonitored.
Also are you sure that your local fire authority and your insurance are OK with you having a heating element of this type on stage? A hot range burner is not going to extinguish as fast an an open flame head.

If it where me I'd have this be a manual cue. If you're running your cable to a traproom you could have a technician on a headset down there throwing a knife switch at the appropriate time. It requires an extra body, but you also eliminate the potential fire hazard of the lighting board op accidentally turning the range on and letting it run unmonitored.
Also are you sure that your local fire authority and your insurance are OK with you having a heating element of this type on stage? A hot range burner is not going to extinguish as fast an an open flame head.
I trust our TD and props director 100% on safety. We don't have the money to hire another stage hand (has to be local IASTE) for the show just to flip a switch.

Small update, discovered the oven can take 208v and the one burner we're going to be using uses max 2150W at 208v. So it seems like we can snip the connector, attach an L6-20 and connect it to our non dim circuits. We'll probably also disconnect the other 3 ranges so they can't accidentally be turned on.

Thanks for your help folks.

I trust our TD and props director 100% on safety. We don't have the money to hire another stage hand (has to be local IASTE) for the show just to flip a switch.

I'm not saying that this can't be done safely. Much more dangerous things or done on stages daily. Just because it can be done safely doesn't mean that the fire marshal see's it that way.

I'm not saying that this can't be done safely. Much more dangerous things or done on stages daily. Just because it can be done safely doesn't mean that the fire marshal see's it that way.
I appreciate your concern, but the old globe does not mess around when it comes to safety on its stages and I know it's been cleared by appropriate parties. This theatre has burned down twice in its 100 year history and I trust they do not want to do that again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back