Control/Dimming Leprecon 612 Console / Flickering at low dimmer values

Hi there!

So I am having an issue with one of our Leprecon 612 consoles. Anytime I either bring the master fader down or any channel fader down below 40% it makes our instruments flicker. I have tried this with our CF12s v2, Ovations, and source4 with a 575w lamp. Would anyone have an idea on what may be causing that issue? I talked to Leprecon and they never heard of the issue so couldn't give me any solid advice (super nice folks though!). I didn't know if there could be an issue with something on the PCB that could cause this.

I am running everything with DMX, not analog.

Thanks, any advice would be helpful!

That sounds like classic DMX cabling issues. All of the cable must be rated for DMX, no microphone cable. There must not be any Y's, daisy chain only. The end of the run must be terminated. Violate any of those things and it'll work but be flakey just enough to drive you crazy.

That sounds like classic DMX cabling issues. All of the cable must be rated for DMX, no microphone cable. There must not be any Y's, daisy chain only. The end of the run must be terminated. Violate any of those things and it'll work but be flakey just enough to drive you crazy.
We only use 5 pin in our shop unless we have to use 3 pin. I tested with multiple DMX cables from 5ft to 50ft and still have the same issue so its not a cable issue. I also tested each each fixture 1 by 1 straight tout of the console, no splitter, to see if it was a fixture issue and that was not the case. I'm wondering if it may be an issue with the DMX connection to the PCB or another issue with the PCB?

Anything is possible. Connections between a chassis connector and the PC board are a fairly common point of failure, so a close look for lifted solder or cracked traces, and continuity check wouldn't hurt. I would also replace the output driver chip just in case.

You hinted that you might have more than one 612 condole. If so, substitute another one and see how the system performs.

There's a ribbon cable in there that can get loose, or get dirty. That often causes those flickering issues, especially if they're intermittent. Try cleaning and reseating it on both ends. It may solve the issue. We have success with it in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back