Control/Dimming DMX-50 A PROGRAMMED TO (2) DMX 40

Lish

Ok I can set the programming on the DMX-40's and I cant program the channels on the Controller to run but when I run the controller to a dimmer for four lights and then another dimmer for an additional 4 the second dimmer is not picking up the recieve feed?

any advice

I;m deffinately not a lighting tech Im just trying to program enough to get through a job coming up next week

Lish
A/V One

Ok I can set the programming on the DMX-40's and I cant program the channels on the Controller to run but when I run the controller to a dimmer for four lights and then another dimmer for an additional 4 the second dimmer is not picking up the recieve feed?

any advice

I;m deffinately not a lighting tech Im just trying to program enough to get through a job coming up next week

Lish
A/V One

Need a bit more info, but it sounds like you have a Chauvet DMX 40 and two 4 channel dimmers. (not sure what the plurals are about, or how the 50 fits in) In any case, it sounds like you are using a board designed for movers to feed the two dimmers. For this to work, you would simply select "fixture 1" and then set the address of the first pack to start at 1 and the address of the second pack to start at 5. The 8 sliders would then control 8 dimmer channels. The native on the DMX 40 is LTP, or last takes priority which may be a bit weird for use in dimming. Any help, or am I missing something?

thanks that does help some, but here is what I wanted to do....

You are correct I have two DMX-4 dimmer packs and a DMX-50A controller. I have Pack 1 conrolling 4 par cans and all I want to do is dim and run some random sequences out of the presets.

Pack one is set to channel 4 and then on the controller I have the address of scanner 1 set to control CH4 ( which goves me independant control on faders 1,2,3 and 4)

this is as far as I can get.....I can fade in and out each of the 4 sliders but can not do anything else. They do nothing when I select a preset.

Pack 2 I tried to set the same way only using scanner 2 with an address large enough not to conflict (512) but I do not get a signal on that pack at all for the controller...it is only working on the chase setting. So I beleive I may have a bad dimmer, but regardless I still need to get further than I am in the programming.

thanks for any help you may offer

Lish
A/V One

Each "scanner" is 16 channels wide, so the button for scanner 1 would be DMX 1, the button for scanner 2 would be DMX 17, the button for scanner 3 would be DMX 33 and so on. If you wanted the packs to work on the scanner buttons, their address would have to start on a multiple of 16+1. (You could set pack 1 for a start address of one, and pack 2 for a start address of 17)

To test the dimmer packs, set both to DMX channel 1 (that number should be displayed in the LCD window on the pack.) Page 7 of the manual- http://www.chauvetlighting.com/products/manuals/DMX-4_UG.pdf

With the board defaulted, and scanner 1 selected, the first 4 board channels should operate the 4 channels on both packs together. Now, change the start address on on the second pack to 5. Now the first 4 controls should operate the first pack, and the 5th to 8th control should operate the second pack. You can then program in up to 240 scenes or chase steps.

If you wanted to split the packs on different scanner buttons, set the second pack to 17, and hit the second scanner button to access it. As the board has 8 controls and you have 8 dimmer channels, it is simpler just to program everything to the scanner 1 button. You will have the same features available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back