DMX Cable

arexlame

What make and model DMX cable do you use for DMX leads?

All the reasearch I've currently done leads to Belden 8102, but it's grey. Canare also list another one I've seen, but it's blue. I'm trying to find a black model, something that's also not horrendously expensive :)

Thanks in advance!

Eurocable CVS LK DMX S for 1 pair and CVS LK DMX D for 2 pair
Nice cable, but may or may not meet your criteria on budget...

Distributor is TRC in Melbourne.

Gepco DLC224 is some nice cable. Remember, besides it being true DMX, cables have to last! Even Cat5 shielded would work if you didn't have to move it, but in the real world, cable gets flexed a lot! Much of what makes for a better DMX cable has to do with the construction and how much abuse it can take. First, decide if you are going with one or two pair cable. Although DMX standard is for 5 pin connectors, only the one pair gets used. There is some equipment that uses the other pair for special purposes, but these are generally outside of the usual DMX environment. Now look at how the shield is constructed- Is it just a piece of foil with a drain wire, or is the foil covered with a full braid? The foil will eventually break down, so it's nice to have that full braid covering it.
Now, it's time for my rant! - If you go with two pair cable, it may be hard to find the real thing! Even the better quality cable seams to be built by twisting 4 conductors together on the same axis. Will it work? Yes. Is it really two pairs? NO! The Belden 8102 is true two-pair cable, but as you said, it's gray!

I use cat 5e, unshielded, it is Twisted Pair so shielding is unnecessary unless you are in a hostile RF environment and I have done multiple runs over the past 2 years with it and it is great.

Thanks @venuetech and @JD

I've found a distributor for Gepco Down Under, so I'll have a look and see the price difference between it and the eurocable (Thanks @Chris15).

I don't know if it's within forum rules or if you know of the top your head, but roughly how much is a 200m roll of eurocable single pair? (Saves me sending an email if I already know I don't have the money ;) )

RRP on 2 pair when I bought some 6 months ago was $3.95 / metre.
So my guesstimate would be around the $3/ metre...

Last edited:
... but unfortunately in this instance, no obvious distribution arrangements that cover Australia...

Freight forwarding at that price would still be cheap as chips @techieman33 @Chris15

That's a tempting proposition, or do I make my own Eurocable/Neutrik, or as somebody in the industry said to me the other day 'I've used audio cable all my career and never had one issue' - but that's a whole new debate.

In cable world DMX is really EIA/RS 485. Anything rated to carry that will work and that is what's listed on the data sheet. Ask you local supplier to look up their favorite make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back