DMX Controlled Lighting Bars

kenneth

Hi guys
I recently saw the Scottish production of 'The Steamie' and in one of the scenes, a lighting bar with movers and disco balls lowered down, and then went back up.
Is it possible to control motorised systems, like the one above via DMX, and is it commonly used? I would presume that it was controlled by the board op via another control. I think it was the ION they were using, I'm not sure.
Just a query guys, but thanks if you read/response :)
Kenneth

Just my speculation, but I would assume that it is possible, but I would think it would be easier and much safer to have a tech let the bar down at the appropriate time. With the error potential inherent in DMX, I really can't imagine it being safe to have it lower something heavy over the heads of anybody.

Possible, but should NEVER be done. DMX doesn't have error correction, so using it to control pyro, motors, etc., can cause death and destruction. And that's not a good thing unless it was intentional ;-)

Motors should always be line of sight control with a pendant that can stop imediately in case of trouble. Cueing it is a simple matter of the SM calling an extra cue. Nothing different than a flyrail or tab cue.

While it might have not been DMX controlled, it is possible that it was programmed as a cue.

Texas Scenic makes a device that makes it possible to set movements of electrics or battens as a cue.
They used to have two models, a small handheld one, and a larger unit for use in a booth. It looks like they only have the handheld one now.

Stage Rigging

All of our fly cues are programmed as cues. The SM writes the cue on a piece of paper, that paper is handed to the rail head. The SM turns on a cue light and gives a verbal standby and then the SM turns off the cue light and the rail crew executes the cue. Simplest and most effective cueing system since the dawn of theatre (minus electric cue lights of course).

Stupid question here.... Do you know if they have a motorized fly system?

DMX is fine to give a cue to an automation system. However, there must be another layer in between to actually fire the cue. This usually involved a deadman switch of some kind.

Having never used a motorized fly system, is there a person involved who can override or stop a moving piece of scenery or electric? I just imagine letting anything fly without a means to stop it in case of trouble.

Having never used a motorized fly system, is there a person involved who can override or stop a moving piece of scenery or electric? I just imagine letting anything fly without a means to stop it in case of trouble.

Yes. Usually it is a system similar to a lighting console where you can program cues and move things manually. Sometimes there is also an integrated qwerty keyboard and LCD screen - one system I saw was running windows XP as its OS. It operates similarly to a lighting system, but main operational difference is that you have to hold down a deadman's switch or bar (like a big spacebar) any time a cue is in progress. Releasing the bar pauses the cue.

The system we had in high school was just a simple motorized system with up and down controls. No speed adjustment or programming abilities. Of course, we only had a 1/4 fly, so needing to do complex fly movements was a somewhat moot point.

This control box had a keyed switch, an emergency stop mushroom switch, and a set of buttons for each line. Blue for up and Green for down. These buttons were momentary. Let off the button and everything stops. It was installed by Texas Scenic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back