DMX Software - Lighting Newbie looking to learn. Best option for audio synced shows?

adster

Hello everyone! Newbie here. I'm looking into buying a USB to DMX controller with subsequent software. I've looked at a ton of software out them and while they all look great, I'm not sure exactly what will be my best fit. I've done a ton of research and while I find lots of people preferring one over another, I can't seem to find people talking about different features and different mindsets.

I plan on making light shows set to music for stage shows (burlesque, small concerts, etc), so it would be awesome if I can do that all within the program. Here's the equipment I have:
2 American DJ X-Scan LED's
2 30W Moving Heads from China (which are awesome by the way)
2 Blizzard Flurry Q 7x10w RGBW Moving Head Wash Lights
1x LED PAR64 (havent purchased yet but want this to be the main focussed light on the stage)

I've looked at ShowXpress, MyDMX 2.0, DMXIS and LightFactory which are all affordable. Sunlite and LightJockey seem overkill for what I need and are priced that way. I was hoping for something that I can load a fixture profile in (which most support) and also create my own, since my generic 30W Moving Head will most likely not be in any fixture database.

So any thoughts on this? Which do you use and why?

Re: DMX Software - Lighting Newbie looking to learn. Best option for audio synced sho

ChamSys has offered a free version of their software for a while, and M-PC from Martin is now available with 1 (and in certain conditions 2) free universes. Look up ChamSys on the wiki and look here and here for info on M-PC

I've looked at ChamSys MagicQ Software which looks powerful, but from what I've read (especially here) there's a huge learning curve and it's not for beginners. I took a look at the new Martin M-PC Free which says it will work with any Open DMX controller, so that's pretty awesome. How is that regarding a fixture database, music syncing etc?

Thank you! :)

Re: DMX Software - Lighting Newbie looking to learn. Best option for audio synced sho

I'd recommend looking at Enttec D-Pro, which is made by the same folks who made DMXIS, so the simplicity of use is there but there are quite a few more professional features. If that's too much/too expensive, I'd recommend using DMXIS. Solid, proven software that can even sync up with backing tracks quite easily and has little learning curve.

Hello everyone! Newbie here. I'm looking into buying a USB to DMX controller with subsequent software. I've looked at a ton of software out them and while they all look great, I'm not sure exactly what will be my best fit. I've done a ton of research and while I find lots of people preferring one over another, I can't seem to find people talking about different features and different mindsets.

I too am a newbie with the DMX. I have been looking at CUE Player lighting. Simple interface for my purpose I think. I want to control 2 lights at present with the future purpose of 2 more down the road. These lights are a set program at a touch of buttons I hope. They won't change program function. 1 is 150 feet away LED Gobo Rotator with 2 gobo's that need to be used at different times from the soundbooth the other fixture 25 feet away which is a stationary ETC spot. Down the road 2 more LED Gobo Rotators.
I want an idea of what i need equipment wise to get this system put together, Cables, wireless DMX maybe etc.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Where'd you get those moving heads from China? Is there a link you could post?

Feel free to message or email me if you have any questions about the Cue Player Lighting program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back