Automated Fixtures DMX strobe with blinder effect (Atomic, Protron Star, Mega Flash, Hungaroflash, ...?)

Horvath

I'm looking at purchasing two DMX strobes that can do a blinder effect.
Martin Atomic 3000 is clearly the best choice, but I'm not sure if I want to spend $1000 of our budget on this. So I'm looking at some cheaper strobes, such as the Elation Protron Star (can't figure out if this can do a continuous blinder effect or not), Chauvet Mega Flash III (can anyone speak about the quality?), or Hungaroflash USDMX (Their US distributor doesn't have any information about it on their website. Any idea if these can do the blinder effect, or what their price might be?).

BTW, I know cheap gear usually sucks... but just keep in mind that these strobes will be complimenting other equally cheap Chauvet and American DJ dim, rattly led washes. FLASH AND TRASH, WITH TRASH. ;)

Last edited:
Re: DMX strobe with blinder effect (Atomic, Protron Star, Mega Flash, Hungaroflash, .

You definitely cannot afford the Hungaroflash unit. Can't speak to the others, except to say that most lesser-expensive strobes cannot sustain their flash very long. See also the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/22780-crowd-blinder.html .

EDIT: How about a white LED? It can be a washlight, and a strobe effect? Or an RGBW fixture?
Thanks for the info on the Hungaroflash. I'd consider white LED, but would similarly priced fixtures be anywhere near as bright as a xenon strobe? If there's one thing I don't want, it's more dim LED units.

Keep an eye out on gearsource you can usually find some atomics for a good price even new ones. We picked up some demo units with new lamps in the box for around 350.

Re: DMX strobe with blinder effect (Atomic, Protron Star, Mega Flash, Hungaroflash, .

1) If you can buy used you should be able to get Atomics for a decent price.

2) If you can't buy used, the Elation Proton Star is not as bright as the Atomic, but does have a very long sustained blinder effect. Someone had one of those in for repair and I was surprised at how long the blinder lasted for a non-Atomic fixture. It was at least as long as the Atomic as far as bright duration, and it never actually went out, just like the Atomic. It isn't nearly as bright since it's only 750W, though, as I mentioned.

Keep an eye out on gearsource you can usually find some atomics for a good price even new ones. We picked up some demo units with new lamps in the box for around 350.
Thanks, I hadn't heard of that website. Solaris Network, Gearsource, any others? I may be in the market for a Hog 1000 or other oldschool moving light console...

Thanks also to soundlight for that info on the protron star. I'll probably go with that one unless I can find some cheap used Atomics.

derekleffew said:
Now that's more like it :)
Too bad we'd probably break it immediately, even if we could afford it... we rented VL2500s for two days, and temporarily broke one by accidentally putting it in wash mode, and the cyan dichroic got stuck on another one. Used scanners are our only hope for moving lights...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back