New here, Introducing myself/trying to get some useful knowledge

Twiztidmn

I'm not very good with introductions, so I'll try my best...

Obviously from the title I'm new here, and I'm hoping to get some direction/advice that will help me with my career goals. I stumbled upon this page while researching lighting fixtures that I would like to use in building my own rig. Names Chris, 27 years old, and I'm hoping to become a successful live concert lighting technician. A little background...

I love music, always have. After graduating from high school I spent 4 years in the Minneapolis area doing concert/cd release promo for Strange Music (Tech N9ne, etc.) I liked doing it, but eventually I ran out of time to do promo work while working full time. After about 2 years not doing anything music related, I started helping my roommates band. Mostly I helped with load in/load out, and ran merch a few times. After roughly 1.5 years, they went their separate ways and he joined a new band. I started helping them in the same way, and eventually it turned into running stage props/fog machines/strobes. At the time I had no problem with the roadie work, but I was really starting to like the idea of making the show look as good as I could. I've never been able to play an instrument, so this would be my way to make the show better. I've been to entirely too many shows that the light guy was terrible... it can easily influence my opinion of seeing a band for the first time (not sure how many other people think this way...) When the band went through a lineup change, I was asked if I wanted to run the stage lights for their last show at the time. Having absolutely no idea what I was doing, or how the house had their stuff setup, I think it actually went pretty **** good. I also realized that day that it was what I wanted to do for a living.

Fast forward about 2 years. I stumbled upon an add on Craigslist by a bar that was looking for someone to come in and be their in-house light guy, no experience needed. This happened to be the same time that I decided to seriously pursue this career option. At the time they were having their sound guy run the lights, who none of really cared about doing it at all. They would pick a few colors and leave it the whole night, and hit the fog machine once in a while. It has now been about 4 months, I've made a little bit of money ($150 give or take in that time, plus food and beer...), but I want to do much more. I've walked into a few venues for a show, walked up to the sound guy and asked if they had an in-house light guy that night. You would be shocked how many of them have said no, just them, and they ask me if I want to do it. I know I was. (Apparently there is a severe shortage of light guys in the Minneapolis area... everyone wants to do sound.)

I have also talked to many of the bands that I have known for years, mentioned that I'm learning how to run lights and if they ever need someone to let me know. First question I get almost everytime? "Oh that's cool, do you have your own stuff?" Well... no... I don't... But I now feel it's time to change that. I ran into a guy at a show that had nothing except his own board. I was surprised how much the club was paying him to come in and run lights for 4 local bands that total drew about 400-500 people... and that was with just owning his own board. What could I make if I had my own light rig...? Well, I now intend to explore that possibility.

First thing you might say is, "Don't expect to make a lot of money at the start, it takes time." I completely agree. I would actually be surprised if I simply make my gas money back when starting out, but I know it can lead to much more with some hard work. Have to start somewhere right? That being said, I have spent the last few weeks doing some serious research trying to learn everything I can about lighting (Bought 5 books on the subject ranging from musical/opera lighting design, all the way to the ins and outs of automated lighting and concert lighting.) I have also been looking at different light fixtures trying to design what I think would be a decent starting rig, that also puts off a professional/I mean business look. That means no Spencer's Gifts fixtures... Yes, I have had friends say, "Well why don't you just go to Spencers and buy your stuff from there...?" Yes, that is good enough for maybe the corner of some bands friends mom's basement for their house party... but not for what I intend to do. I'm going to attempt to get a $5000-$7500 personal loan from a credit union this weekend (Banks hate me... I couldn't get a $5000 car loan with a 725+ credit rating *censored*). Assuming that I can, this is the preliminary rig that I have started to piece together:

American DJ Light Bridge System (American DJ Homepage) - I could go with the $130 cheaper system, but I would rather pay the extra now to double my weight capacity for future expansions.

Chauvet 6spot LED bar (Products » 6SPOT) - Personally I think this would be a nice center of rig fixture, and I can think of many creative things to do with it.

Elation Design LED 36 Tri-Brick (http://www.elationlighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=1509&MainId=1&Category=LED Lighting) - I was also looking at this, not sure where I would put it, but it can also be for a future expansion, don't want things to get too out of hand.

6-8 LED pars - Somewhere in the $125-150ish range would suffice. Think along the lines of a Chauvet LEDsplash™ 200B, LEDrain™ 64C, or American DJ Mega Par Profile

2 Strobes - American DJ Mega Flash DMX
or Chauvet DMX Mega Strobe™ II. I want it to stand out, not some tiny small wattage strobe...

2 American DJ Flash Rope - (American DJ Homepage) Cheap, and personally I think the truss stands are a little boring... Kinda want something to break that up at times.

Martin Magnum 2500 Hz Hazer - (Product - Magnum 2500 Hz™) 2500 cubic meters a minute should be enough I think... I can always dial it down for smaller venues.

Now, I am aware that this is only going to be a 10' wide fixture, so pretty much just enough to go above the drum riser, but I do intend on my first expansion being 2 5' sections of lights, one stage left and the other stage right, that way I can fill out the rest of the stage. But I think for starting out, and for smaller bars/clubs that do not have very sophisticated light setups, it would get the job done. I also intend on adding a few movers, but at $700+ a pop... yea, they can wait. I also have not done much research into what I want to use for a console. I've been debating between a laptop based one, or a board. I do however want it to be wireless. I feel that the extra $150 or so is worth not having the headache of running a 100' snake across a bar full of drunk people that will be tripping over it every 5 minutes. I have also not looked into powering it all or DMX controllers or anything yet. Want to get an idea of the lights I want, then work from there.

Well, there you have it. like I said, I have approximately 4 months of experience at this point, and I really do not know how to put the lighting images that I have in my head onto a live stage, or even if the above setup is even remotely doable, so that is why I came here with it. I want all the feedback you can give me. Remember, this would be for use in venues in the 500-1500 capacity range, so not for anykind of huge arena type use, that comes later if this experiment works out...

Last edited:
Yeah, I tried this once, it basically was a hobby that funded itself and not much more. It was fun though.

Why did I stop? Because as a small business owner you spend more time trying to find clients than doing lighting, and I like lighting, not sales.

I then went to work for a local lighting company, and got to light 10,000 seat arena shows and festivals instead of 200 cap night clubs.... (for more money too)

Welcome to Control Booth! When I have more time I'm planning to read your post. :) I do want to reply to what Victor had to say, though. Owning a business is about finding a balance between "doing lighting" and sales. I'm at the point where most of my jobs come to me. I've never made a cold call in my life (although I've send out a couple of unfruitful emails early in my career). It's true, some time must be spent dealing with the "business" side of things, such as putting together quotes/invoices, talking to clients, advancing shows, ordering supplies, etc, but for the most part I'm the one on the job every day, the one pushing the faders and buttons to make the lights blink. At the same time, though, I'm also the one loading the truck in the morning (or previous night), driving to the gig, unloading it, setting it all up, running it, putting it back into the truck, driving back to the warehouse, unloading it, getting it de-prepped and reorganized, then maybe going home before the next one (why I have a couch in my warehouse). Some days I don't sleep for 2-3 days, some weeks I don't have a single job (though that's getting very rare and is seasonal). Don't forget the overhead on top of the work...

I wouldn't trade any of it for working for someone else. At least not in this industry. I've had plenty of opportunities to sell everything and go to work for a larger company. It's certainly been tempting. I don't need the ego of lighting huge festivals, I'd rather provide two trees and four movers for a school for a couple grand (my gig this week). It's more enjoyable to me to be in control of my life as I would be completely unfulfilled working for someone else in the production industry. I see guys getting 4 hour stagehand calls and even LD/A1 work and know that that's not what I want in life. I've been there and feel like I've moved past it, for better or worse.

Okay, so read your post. The first red flag is the loan. Make sure you can repay it if your business completely fails. What happens if you get hurt on the job and can no longer carry this heavy equipment? I'm not real familiar with your product selections, but I will say that you should invest primarily in front lighting. First and foremost, bands want to be seen. The eye candy is additional. You'll be working more just to provide a stage wash, so that should be priority. After that, and against what most people here will tell you, moving lights will be the next thing you'll get asked for. People want to see the wiggle, it's just how it is. Buy them, you won't regret it. Here's a list of what I would buy if I were in your position, keeping in mind your budget.

Console - MagicQ PC - $100
Front lighting - two trees of some sort of LED, 4 per side - $200 ea
stands - Applied L11 - $450 used (I know a company selling a pile of them)

I would put the moving lights on vertical sticks of truss, attached to base plates.

6' truss x2 - $400 ea
Applied base plate x2 - $200 ea
some sort of entry level but reliable moving light - $1200
hazer - Radiance - $1200

This does not include cabling or cases, but cabling for this rig would be fairly inexpensive and cases could come as you make money (just keep those ML's safe!). Good luck!

Okay, so read your post. The first red flag is the loan. Make sure you can repay it if your business completely fails. What happens if you get hurt on the job and can no longer carry this heavy equipment? I'm not real familiar with your product selections, but I will say that you should invest primarily in front lighting. First and foremost, bands want to be seen. The eye candy is additional. You'll be working more just to provide a stage wash, so that should be priority. After that, and against what most people here will tell you, moving lights will be the next thing you'll get asked for. People want to see the wiggle, it's just how it is. Buy them, you won't regret it. Here's a list of what I would buy if I were in your position, keeping in mind your budget.

Console - MagicQ PC - $100
Front lighting - two trees of some sort of LED, 4 per side - $200 ea
stands - Applied L11 - $450 used (I know a company selling a pile of them)

I would put the moving lights on vertical sticks of truss, attached to base plates.

6' truss x2 - $400 ea
Applied base plate x2 - $200 ea
some sort of entry level but reliable moving light - $1200
hazer - Radiance - $1200

This does not include cabling or cases, but cabling for this rig would be fairly inexpensive and cases could come as you make money (just keep those ML's safe!). Good luck!

I agree, if I could do it without the loan I would, I just don't have the cash on hand currently to do it all outright. I am however currently making 4X-5X payments on my credit card so I should be ok. I never really looked into front lighting, mostly with the hopes that most venues would have at least some kind of front lighting to use. definatly something I have thought about down the road, but never really thought about it at this point. I also as of last night, after going to another show, agree with you about the movers. I had already looked at getting 2 of them (DJ Spot LED - American DJ Homepage), but saw that retail on those ones was $800, so They turned into a "if I have enough left over" addition. i did however do a little looking around last night and found them as cheap as $350 each... that is definatly within the budget. I also realized that I do not need a 2500 cubic foot per min hazer. the one the band last night was using was 1200, and it worked perfectly fine. in fact, he never once had to crank it to full blast, only left it at about half for the night. that alone saves me almost $300. the downside to that show however was he was using Compu Show. He had his laptop running Compu Show, A 24" touch screen monitor, and a smaller console to run little things, including his hazer. It was pretty much exactly what I pictured in my head for my rig, and it worked perfect for his needs, which are almost the same as mine currently. It was also not nearly as expensive as I though it would be, only running him around $1200 for the entire thing. What are others heres experiences with Compu Show? My understanding it that Light Jockey is much better, but it is also considerably more expensive.

I agree, if I could do it without the loan I would, I just don't have the cash on hand currently to do it all outright. I am however currently making 4X-5X payments on my credit card so I should be ok. I never really looked into front lighting, mostly with the hopes that most venues would have at least some kind of front lighting to use. definatly something I have thought about down the road, but never really thought about it at this point. I also as of last night, after going to another show, agree with you about the movers. I had already looked at getting 2 of them (DJ Spot LED - American DJ Homepage), but saw that retail on those ones was $800, so They turned into a "if I have enough left over" addition. i did however do a little looking around last night and found them as cheap as $350 each... that is definatly within the budget. I also realized that I do not need a 2500 cubic foot per min hazer. the one the band last night was using was 1200, and it worked perfectly fine. in fact, he never once had to crank it to full blast, only left it at about half for the night. that alone saves me almost $300. the downside to that show however was he was using Compu Show. He had his laptop running Compu Show, A 24" touch screen monitor, and a smaller console to run little things, including his hazer. It was pretty much exactly what I pictured in my head for my rig, and it worked perfect for his needs, which are almost the same as mine currently. It was also not nearly as expensive as I though it would be, only running him around $1200 for the entire thing. What are others heres experiences with Compu Show? My understanding it that Light Jockey is much better, but it is also considerably more expensive.

Look into Magicq like Bishop mentioned. Control from your computer and it's cheap. I've found LJ from $1000 to $1400 so I wouldn't say that it's considerably more expensive than stuff the other guy was using. Remember to keep looking around, used stuff will help the budget go farther, so take a look around local rental houses to see what they might have to sell off, or check out something like this Used Lighting - Used Stage & Theatrical Lighting Equipment, LED Lighting, Trussing

Look into Magicq like Bishop mentioned. Control from your computer and it's cheap. I've found LJ from $1000 to $1400 so I wouldn't say that it's considerably more expensive than stuff the other guy was using. Remember to keep looking around, used stuff will help the budget go farther, so take a look around local rental houses to see what they might have to sell off, or check out something like this Used Lighting - Used Stage & Theatrical Lighting Equipment, LED Lighting, Trussing

Going to do some serious shopping around once I secure the funds to pull it off. I'm only using retail prices for now so I know what my max cost is when I ask for a loan. Anything I save buying from other places will be put back into the rig to buy better fixtures.

Yeah, I tried this once, it basically was a hobby that funded itself and not much more. It was fun though.

Why did I stop? Because as a small business owner you spend more time trying to find clients than doing lighting, and I like lighting, not sales.

I then went to work for a local lighting company, and got to light 10,000 seat arena shows and festivals instead of 200 cap night clubs.... (for more money too)

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread, feel free to ignore me, but this just hit the nail on the head of something in my own life. Currently I work mainly as a freelance lighting design for theater and also run my own small business for occasional small events and concerts. But, in the long term, I'd like to do just what you did; work my way into an LD position for a lighting company and do concerts and festivals instead of theater. Just wondering if you have any advice on how to make that transition from the freelance theater world into the concert world.

Yes there are some nice bar gigs that you can install your gear at and go run lights every few nights and get a few hundred bucks every week. The thing I hate about them is cleaning all of the smoke out of the optics. It's very time consuming and has to be done especially if you are going to be taking your gear into churches or corporate events. Also be sure to have a contract that covers you and your gear. Also keep in mind the need for insurance I have gotten gigs just because I was insured. What happens if a light stand falls over on someone? I would also try to stay in venues that would allow me to rig or commonly set movers on their cases so I did not have to worry about the potential of stands being knocked over or people tripping over the legs. I run my dmx line along side the audio snake. I do not like trusting wireless solutions. I used a wireless system once to control a 5' mirror ball and some confetti blowers. I had occasional drop-outs (had to push button several times) but no miss fires. We used wireless to demo the system and the truss was rigged in a weird position where there was power easily available but getting data there would be tricky.

I've never had a single issue with my Wireless Solution s Micro units. I use them every gig. They're in one rig right now, can't wait to get another complete setup for larger shows/doubles.

Amishplumber - not ignored, read all posts and it does have its very good merit. Renting the wiggle good concept perhaps (assuming you don't need to put just as much work into them as your own fixtures so they work and are ready for the show.) Work on your own gear taking a lot of time as TimMiller presented is also important. (Frequently get lights in from strip clubs thru stadiums and the problem is maintinence most often.)

Not yet mentioned, perhaps 1/3 if what you should figure is for the actual lighting, perhaps in a simple concept for the cable and control. That much less half man/hours for the show in shop in paying for all the details of office/shop should be figured I would think.

Less or Len I'm sure could also chime in if still active in others with this as their business that could help on this scary topic for me of opening up a business beyond insurance. Main thing I would think to be concerned about is a good "Business" and that's the difference between us that work for someone and those that are on their own in so many business and standards details. This well beyond stop steps of any mover in accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back