Control/Dimming Midi sequence Control of DMX boards

Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum so im sorry if this is repeating an already covered topic. I have read some posts and it seems people are doing very similar things to what I'm after so i think the answer is tantalizingly close.

Here's my setup:

2 x Chauvet 4 play clears.
Products » 4PLAY

2 x American DJ Jelly bar profiles
American DJ Homepage

1 X American DJ Mega Bar
American DJ Homepage

I currently have no DMX controller however that's the main point of the post.

We are a band than use Midi Click tracks with the drummer. This is sent Via a keyboard with a midi sequencer in it. So all the songs are pre pre-programmed on cubase (6.5) and then loaded via a usb stick on the gig into a set list and then the keyboard player presses play. We can free up a midi channel so that we can use it to control the lights via a DMX control board however I wanted to ask what level of control I can get from this. My budget is down the low end of the scale. Im not expecting to buy many more lights. Maybe another mega bar or two but nothing to special.

So I have a few questions. I'm sorry if they don't make sense I'm still trying to get my head around it all.

Firstly the MIDI track I use, is it notes that are the trigger or is it system exclusive commands? Im assuming here that for example continuous controller commands wont work to for example fade the lights, or change the colours of the LED fixtures?

On stage we have the 8 Jelly's pointing at band members, and the Mega bar is at the front giving a wash over the singers. The 4 plays are mostly into the crowd with one from each side facing the band. What's great with the 4 plays is the sound to light makes them change a lot and gives the audience a real club/disco feel which is nice, however I would prefer to keep some of the lights with the band a little more static. So where the stage lights might change say every 4 bars, the audience lights could keep changing with the beat. Now from what I have read here and on other places its possible to have a DMX board with 250 or whatever scenes that can then be called up one at a time via midi values. So in Cubase i could add the values to various points on the song in time with a beat or bar and then the whole rig would then jump to the scene that corresponds to the value. This is where it all gets confusing for me. Say I want the 4 plays to change on every beat but the stage lights to stay the same. Would I need to program 4 scenes all with the same stage lights and different 4 plays then set them to the beat with the correct midi number? Or can I set them to sound to light within one scene and then turn that off with the next and have them fixed?

This brings me to my next question.

From what I have read most low end boards have midi. So they receive commands on whatever channel to bring up a scene, maybe do a blackout and chase's. IS a scene just a static shot of the lights? i.e it doesn't feature any changing colours, fades, flashes, or whatever. What i'm trying to get to here is for example sometimes as the song moves from one section to another, a static change of all lights red to all lights blue would be fine. But other times during a verse lets say, I would like a cross fade from red to blue. The lights are obviously capable of doing so, but can i control this via midi? Is this change a scene? or is it something you can only do at the higher end of the market?

Ok and last question. Promise!

Its kinda the same as the previous one, if say I want the main lights fixed but the 4-plays just doing one of there effects for example as the LEDS are in circles it rotates which one is on giving a spinning effect. It doesn't need to be in time with anything in particular, just tuned on, then off when the next scene is recalled. again it this possible?

So can I do this, and can people recommend a controller suitable? I have looked at an Obey 40 and the 70 just to give you an idea of budget and my level of knowledge. I'm a quick learner so once I have it all there I'm confident I can learn. I would really rather not have a PC on stage. Its just one more thing to set up and go horridly wrong right at the worst possible time. And we don't have a lighting guy. (9 out of 10 times we don't have a sound man!) IF any of this doesn't make sense then please feel free to question.

Thanks in advance for any advice from you guys.

Cheers,

Ryan

The Obey series is unreliable, has buttons that break, and has poor MIDI implementation (personal experience with the Obey series, another current Chauvet controller, and the precursor to the Obey series - I like most things Chauvet makes but not their controllers). I'd recommend going with a software program that you can run from a laptop, such as Enttec DMXIS, which is a DMX control program designed for performing musicians. It can take a lot of normal MIDI commands and is quite simple to use.

Thanks soundlight, The trouble is we don't have a laptop which i would consider stable to use live. Also the other issue there is we would need to send midi into it from the keyboard, and then use that to trigger the Software which would then connect up to the box back out. Its a lot more that could go wrong, even down to simple loose connections. We would really prefer to use a stand alone box which if all fails can be set to a chase or sound to light. Im also very aware of setup time. As we also set our own PA, etc i would like it to be simple when on the show. However if this is the only way to get these type effects then maybe it will need to be done. However it will be a future investment as the laptop would need to be purchased too.

Cheers,

R

Firstly the MIDI track I use, is it notes that are the trigger or is it system exclusive commands? Im assuming here that for example continuous controller commands wont work to for example fade the lights, or change the colours of the LED fixtures?

MSC (MIDI Show Control) uses System Exclusive commands. For more thourough info see this link.

Say I want the 4 plays to change on every beat but the stage lights to stay the same. Would I need to program 4 scenes all with the same stage lights and different 4 plays then set them to the beat with the correct midi number? Or can I set them to sound to light within one scene and then turn that off with the next and have them fixed?

That is very dependant of the controler board/software. Basically, every light-related action, be it a instant on, blackout or upward or downward fade is to be programmed as a single memory into its appropriate record target. That could be a submaster, playback, cue, effect, chase... What makes things worse is that all these terms have different meanings across the controller´s manufacturers.

In most cases you will be given an option to program continuos stack of static looks with individual transition time from one look to the pending one; a separate playback (be it a button or a fader) with only one look that you can bring on regardless of where you are in the stack (a.k.a. cue list or sequence); and an effect function (chase or any repeating sequence of values) that can be programed as a separate cue or can be assigned to a fader (a.k.a. submaster or playback). That is an over-simplification, but I hope you get the picture. How would all this react together and affect each other depends on controller´s behavior - being it HTP or LTP, state or move-fade, tracking or preset.

MSC can possibly fire a cue (sending a GO message to advance to the next in the list or GO xx to jump to an exact number), set a submaster to a certain level, fire a macro, effect, stop them, resume them an so on. What would actually happen depends on the controller software.

IS a scene just a static shot of the lights? i.e it doesn't feature any changing colours, fades, flashes...

Scene IS a static snapshot of the lights, but only for programming purposes. Once again, duration can be assigned to a scene change. Time value higher than zero gives you a fade.

...if say I want the main lights fixed but the 4-plays just doing one of their effects... is this possible?

Yes.

My budget is down the low end of the scale.

Here comes your problem. If your budger covers only the lowest end, I can not think of a controller that would solve your situation effortlessly. I am not saying what you want is not possible, it´s just that there is hell of a lot of programming waiting for you. Good luck with that! (sincirely)

Thanks for that.

So I'm really restricted by my budget. If i didn't want to be PC based and just have a board that allows me to do some of these things what would i need to look at. I am starting to think PC is the way forward, its just the reliability factor and set up that worries me. So a small DMX controler is only really going to give me static lights. So i would need lots of scenes and chases to be able to be really flashy.

Cheers,

I can tell you that a PC is way more reliable than a cheap Chauvet board. No way to save the Chauvet board's show, buttons might break in the middle of the show, the power supply connector on the PCB could fail, any one of a number of other things. Other than the fact that it'd take you ages to get somewhere close to what you want, and it would be impossible to get the MIDI control that you desire. I really suggest getting a used laptop and DMXIS. You don't need a top-of-the-line laptop to run DMXIS, just something made within the last 4 years that won't hiccup. Run nothing else on the computer - uninstall all of the unnecessary programs, kill all unnecessary processes that start when the computer starts, and never connect to the internet while using it as a show control computer.

DMXIS can operate with simple note on commands and CC commands.

What it comes down to is that there's no board that offers you near the flexibility that you want within your budget. In my experience all of the MIDI commands on lower end boards are restricted and have very weird quirks (such as having to be in Auto mode which is relatively useless) about how the MIDI is implemented.

I have been running Lighfactory on a cheap (300 ish) Intel ATOM netbook, with no major issues. LF is not cheap, I would recomend DMXIS or DPRO fora cheaper solution, though I have not used either in depth.

In LF i can use note triggers to trigger any shortcut (and a shorcut can do many things, start fx, start a cue, call up a group, or perform system commands) and CC's to run submasters. The Enttec DMX-USB Pro is a good interface. avoid the cheaper open dmx interface as it relies on the computer to generate the dmx data and is less stable. The DMX_USB PRO can be used with a lot of software, even some free ones though you get what you pay for. Freestyler is an open source, free program that works with the enttec dmx pro, a lot of people don't like it but perhaps it could work for you if your not looking to do much. it can't be worse than anyo of the low end lighting boards you are looking at.

RE PC stability. Dedicate a pc to nothing but lighting, uninstall anything you never use. don't put antivirus software on it and never use it on the internet. you should have a stable reliable system that stays that way for some time to come.

Just some thoughts.

Up front... I manufacture and distribute the BlueLite X1 products, so I have a bias...

Our chief engineer has white paper, "MIDI Control of Stage Lighting" that you miy find useful:
http://www.lightinmotionshowcontrol.com/Resources/midi-dmx.pdf

While our's is a software based product, the X1 system was designed so the hardware is doing the majority of the DMX "work" and the USB connection to the PC is only communicating the "changes", so the actual load on the PC is minimal.
Our software includes the 'Live Panel', which directly supports MIDI control input (MIDI sources coming into the PC) to utilize the BlueLite's 4 - X/Y crossfader-pairs using your choice of 3 "MIDI maps" for your control of the Live Panel functionality. A quick description of the three 'maps':
Map 0 - This map relies heavily on NoteOn messages, but also uses some CC (Controller Change) messages.
Map 1 - This map exclusively uses Controller Change (CC) Values.
Map 2 - This map is similar to Map 1, but uses Program Changes for Page and Sequence selection and Toggle button control
The BlueLite User Manual shows the details of the different MIDI Maps in Appendix C. You should also glance at Chapter 12 - "Live Panel" as well as Chapter 4 - "Quick Start Tutorial" to get a feel for some of the capabilities.
You can download and test our software's capabilities from our website to try out any of the features.

We also have additional MIDI apps available to control the BlueLite X1 "Main Panel" (the 24 main submasters) available from our website as well. The "MIDI Note", "MIDI Controller Change" and "MIDI Trigger Loader" also provide you with MIDI control of your lights.

One other option I want to point out, is the BlueLite X1 (and X1-Mini) offers SMPTE timecode In/Out jacks on the X1 hardware which would allow you to record a SMPTE track and then use that track as your SMPTE source to take advantge of the BlueLite's Event List's capabilities.

There is also an old review if our product on the UK Sound and Light Communiity website (the contact info and pricing info are out of date):
BlueLite X1 - Ukslc.org

Please PM me or contact me via our website if you have any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back