DMX512 Help In San Francisco

saronian

DMX512 Help In San Francisco

I'm working on an LED Signage project which uses DMX512 for control and programming, and I need both guidance and referrals for someone with the appropriate skills. While I have a technical background in video, graphics and computers, my knowledge of DMX is zero.

The fabricator is a German company Glas Platz and they have provided the following information, but they do not provide a control/software solution for programming messages into the displays.

The signage uses a unique display of white LED's embedded in glass panels. Each panel contains a grid of 16 x 64 (1024) white LED's about 24mm apart and there are 9 panels linked together. Each panel uses the DMX512 protocol which is wired through an e:cue Butler DMX Engine to a switch via Ethernet.

The messaging on the panels will be text and fade on and off but cannot animate with motion because of a zoning ordnance restriction. The text will ideally be grabbed from an RSS feed of performance schedules.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Scott Aronian
Propp + Guerin
San Francisco

Is there an addressing table from the company ? I'm not sure the manner in which you would address such a matrix. If each individual LED was considered a channel. Then you would need a DMX universe per panel and would be wasting 254 bits of data for each channel, considering a binary off/on setup. < One universe = 1024 channels each channel has 256 unique 'states' on would be one off would be another. >
So it sounds as if you need to go from text to ASCII text then ASCII to dot matrix. Unless there were some form of Video decoder inmline which could just throw a 'Picture' of the text into the matrix.

You sure you got all the parts ?

Hi Van, thanks for the quick reply.

As for having all the parts, so far that is all I've been told, but the displays haven't been manufactured yet.

I'm being asked about preparing the infrastructure for installation, and what additional costs are involved. Hope you can imagine my frustration trying to solve a problem I know little about. So far we were treating it as a dot matrix, unless adding a video decoder makes more sense (576 x 16?).

Although I can slice up your answer and follow along, we really need someone to hire for this project that can ask relevant questions of the manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back