• Yes

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Yes - Shop/Venue Rules

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Yes - College/University/School Rules

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • What's hearing protection; where can I learn about it?

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other - Please Explain

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
I own a pair of Etymotic ER-15 custom-molded earplugs and carry them in my pocket pretty much wherever I go. They've saved my hearing a number of times, and make it easy to find the sweet spot on guitar amps and drums (just stick your head right there and have them play a little).

I also own a pair of muffs (MSA, I think) that I take when I'm afraid of very loud levels for long periods of time (raves, etc.). They, along with the ER-15s, work just fine for anything I care to expose myself and others to.

Hearing doesn't grow back...be wise and protect it. Cochlear implants are getting better, but why not conserve what hearing you already have?

On another note, enjoy this heartwarming video.

Well after reading this thread I ordered a set of These and a set of These.

Both are very comfortable with gel tips. For me and my ears at least, the first set is a better fit, there's a slight curve to the tips and the tips are a little smaller so they go in really deep for an instant tight and quiet fit. Only $5.02 each, the only negative is that the headband is just a little too short and so they fit a little more tight than I would prefer around my neck. The second set is a little longer around the neck which I like. They also achieve a nice quiet fit, but they take a little time to settle into my ears. I'll use both, but the first pair will probably be my go to for the shop. I'll report back when I've had a chance to wear them all day on a project.

Not exactly. The frequency content of the noise is indeed a factor. See Occupational noise exposure. - 1910.95.
OSHA uses A weighted levels, which does apply a frequency based weighting to the measurement. The sad thing is that almost everyone agrees that it is not a good approach as A-weighting is really only applicable at much lower levels than those being referenced in OSHA, for which C-weighting would actually be much more appropriate. However, the A-weighting is just so entrenched that it is not going to change.

The common misconception resulting from this is that low frequencies do not affect hearing loss or damage. Low frequency noise levels can indeed impact hearing loss or damage.

What I find funny is when people try to apply OSHA to churches, concerts, etc. Ignoring the technical issues, OSHA is addressing noise and noise is by definition unwanted sound. So anyone applying OSHA to theatres, worship spaces an so on is basically implying that the related sound is unwanted.

I wear it whenever possible and convenient since I am in the shop 8 hours or more a day. Only 1 theatre I've worked in required it to be worn when working in the shop. Here, I tell students it's available and very good idea because the damage builds up quickly even if they are just volunteering for a few days, but it's not mandatory.

I've been looking at buying a few pairs of these Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER for a few weeks and think I'll order a pair now. I like that they attenuate pretty evenly over all frequencies rather than just stamp out all noise. Some reviews I've read on hear say they make it easier to hear people talking in the shop without having to pop them in and out all the time.

I've been looking at buying a few pairs of these Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER for a few weeks and think I'll order a pair now. I like that they attenuate pretty evenly over all frequencies rather than just stamp out all noise. Some reviews I've read on hear say they make it easier to hear people talking in the shop without having to pop them in and out all the time.

Now are those much different from these Amazon.com: Peltor 97079 Combat Arms Earplugs: Home Improvement? They seem similar and are pretty much the same price but I haven't looked at hearing protection before this thread... A few days before this thread started I worked a concert and it way too loud for the venue... I went out the next day and got some foam ear plugs, but one of these seem like they would work MUCH better.

Wolf, they do look similar to me, not sure if the inside guts make a big difference or not. I got mine in last week and so far so good. It's pretty impressive how good everything sounds with them in. Not muffled at all just like someone turned the volume down on the world.

Most things don't seem dramatically quieter but I think thats just in comparison to using the big all encompassing ear protection that really snuffs out everything.

I've used similar ones, but not exactly that brand. I like the style they are very light. I also find them to be fairly comfortable especially in comparison to foam models, it feels less jammed in your ear and more "elegantly placed." I have also found that they don't loosen up or fall out like the cheaper disposable foam ones.

I just picked up these last week and they seem to work well; even though they are foam they seem to stay in place well, but the band gets in the way depending on how you wear them. Bench grinder sure was a lot tamer though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is so easy to prevent a lifetime of "What did you say?" I don't know why anyone would not were hearing protection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back