• Yes

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Yes - Shop/Venue Rules

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Yes - College/University/School Rules

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • What's hearing protection; where can I learn about it?

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other - Please Explain

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters

erosing

The Royal Renaissance Man
Premium Member
We've discussed music in the shop but unless I missed it we haven't really discussed hearing protection in the shop.

Thinking back to college I remember it not being a big concern, there was no policy against it, but no one really recommended or even really suggested it. But I was talking to a member today and they mentioned that the shop will begin enforcing hearing protection, I thought that was great to hear (pun intended).

I grew up with my father being very stringent towards hearing protection, if anyone was in the shop the tools went off until the hearing protection went on. But that quickly left my head because we certainly didn't concern ourselves with it in high school, and not really in college. Over the last two years I've become more observant of when I should probably be wearing it, and do so. But to me it's still not a first thought, like safety glasses (just to be clear, I always wear my safety glasses, metal slivers suck), just never got in the habit, working on it though.

I've only seen a few people ever be very hardcore about hearing protection. I'm curious how you guys do it, and especially curious if policies have changed in colleges. Do you use hearing protection? Does your shop/venue require it? Does your college require it? Other?

Last edited:
I gotta say, I'm very disappointed that you started a thread entitled "Do you use protection?" and didn't make a single off-color joke... :twisted:

But to add my input: the summer stock theatre where I currently work doesn't require it, but they do require that hearing protection be offered and available whenever it might be needed. We have a large box in our shop with new 3M disposable hearing protection packages, and whenever someone is going to be doing something loud, the call goes out and anyone who wishes to can go over and grab hearing protection. I don't work in the shop very often, but they also do this when working onstage. If the carps are going to be using something that makes a lot of noise, they offer hearing protection to anyone working on stage at the time. But as far as I'm aware, it's not required at all.

Last edited:
I voted three times.
I use it at home by my own choice... got one of those radio/headsets for mowing the lawn.
We use it at the college theater and it's a rule.
I voted "other" because it's MY RULE and I enforce it.

No, one cut on the saw isn't a big deal... it's a tiny amount of damage. But it adds up and it adds up quickly. You guys who always have your iPod earbuds in cranked up to full... you'll regret it when you are 40 and can't hear your children. My Dad worked all through his 20's and 30's in a factor job. By 45 he was partially deaf. 85 Decibels is the level that you begin to do damage. It's also not NEARLY as loud as you might think it is. Be informed and make good choices. Being lazy about hearing protection now is a choice that you will regret for the last 50 years of your life.

I pretty much live in either these...

proxy.php

or these...

Amazon.com: AO Safety 99014 Blockade Noise Isolating Earbuds: Home Improvement
proxy.php

I work alone in the shop fairly often so those are a must to keep me from going insane.

With anyone that works with me I do supply hearing and eye protection. Eye protection is mandatory because I don't want to clean up the mess or do the paperwork. Hearing protection is their own deal. I supply it, you should be adult enough to wear it. When I taught it was mandatory.

Who do you think you are, that's strictly between Footer and myself! I mean, why don't you just ask me my weight while you're at it!

Oh, you mean hearing protection... Sorry...

Since working at a roadhouse that often does music shows, I've started carrying earplugs with me at all times. Some of the rock shows are so loud! (Ahem...Tragically Hip.) And while my livelihood doesn't rely on my being able to hear, I prefer to not be deaf. It's just a thing I have. I've actually even started carrying them around in my purse for those occasions when life gets super loud: certain movies, air shows, the fireworks last week. It's just more comfortable.

I gotta say, I'm very disappointed that you started a thread entitled "Do you use protection?" and didn't make a single off-color joke... :twisted:

I thought about it, but I knew someone (see below) else would do it better than I would have at the moment (I was shooting blanks :rolleyes:).

Who do you think you are, that's strictly between Footer and myself! I mean, why don't you just ask me my weight while you're at it!

Oh, you mean hearing protection... Sorry...

Much, much better than I could have done.

The question also comes in, are you using the right protection and do you know how to put it on/in? Depending on what work you are doing could require different hearing protection. Also, quickly shoving the buds into your ear may or may not create the seal needed to give you the proper protection, so make sure that you read the instructions (that means the guys as well).

If you are in a paid position, your employer should provide you with the proper PPE for your work. OSHA does cover what PPE is required for different environments. Your employer should be aware of this, try asking them. Also, since hearing damage is cumulative, it is difficult to claim for workman's compensation, unless you have a baseline test when you start working for an employer and have regular checkups.

Here's a quick poster for proper insertion and position.

Last edited:
I pretty much live in either these...

proxy.php

This, although mine are a bit different--silicone plugs that go a bit further into the ear, and a design that allows them to be worn in any position (under the chin, top of the head, or behind the neck). So much nicer to the ear canals and easier to insert properly than foam plugs, easier to deal with than muffs, and compatible with any other PPE I might need.

EDIT: aha! here's what I have: Jackson Safety 3000460

Last edited:
We require ear protection at the school when using any power tools other than a cordless drill. Everything else requires ear protection, saws, routers, angle grinders, etc...

I find wearing ear protection makes it easier for me to do work, it's quieter and I can concentrate better when I don't have this pounding feeling in my head.

We require ear protection at the school when using any power tools other than a cordless drill. Everything else requires ear protection, saws, routers, angle grinders, etc...

I find wearing ear protection makes it easier for me to do work, it's quieter and I can concentrate better when I don't have this pounding feeling in my head.

For myself, It's the Pitch of things like Table saw's and Routers that bother me. I'm fine with loud concert music and such, but the continous high pitch of shop tools is why i keep a pair of ear protection in my bag.

Not only do I wear earplugs when working with power tools, I also wear them while riding the subway, attending concerts (doesn't happen very often anymore), running lights, any type of stage work, and mixing monitors (on loud stages and after everyone is happy). I have custom molds and they do a pretty good job of letting me sleep on trains when drunk girls are jabbering and babies are screaming.

For myself, It's the Pitch of things like Table saw's and Routers that bother me. I'm fine with loud concert music and such, but the continous high pitch of shop tools is why i keep a pair of ear protection in my bag.
Of course you realize your ears don't care about pitch. They can go deaf just as easily with big subwoofer notes at a concert as they can with high pitched shop tools. All that matters is the dB level and the amount of exposure.

EDIT: aha! here's what I have: Jackson Safety 3000460
Hey those look nice. I've been looking to replace my current set. I think I'll just order those.
Although these with gel pads look cool too. Maybe I'll order one of each.

The rule in the shop here is eyes for drills, ears and eyes for any other power tool or hammer. Whether we actually wear them? That depends... I'm usually pretty good about wearing them (except for with the drill, that just seems kinda silly). If it's like 4am and we've been there since rehearsal ended at 10, almost no one wears them. Right now I just wear the shop provided ear muff ones, but I'm gonna get my own in ear ones soon. (The shop bought them for us a while back, but someone took mine)

You can permanently ruin your hearing in an instant, or you can harm it a little at a time over many years without realization until it is too late. The thing about noise exposure is that it is, to a degree, cumulative over a life time. Don't screw with your hearing! A little care by using hearing protection will pay dividends for your whole life.

I cringe every time I walk past someone, and I can hear their Ipod playing from several feet away. It is so easy to reach harmful levels without realizing it and they probably do it for hours at a time. People that do that will be using hearing aids before they reach 40 years old. Driving at highway speeds with the car windows open is another action that will do damage in a hurry.

Last edited:
I've actually even started carrying them around in my purse for those occasions when life gets super loud: certain movies, air shows, the fireworks last week. It's just more comfortable.

Wow. I guess I am not the only one who tries to protect his ears during fireworks. I used to wear full hearing protection during fireworks, but now I just hold my ears. I also wear it at most concerts I go to. I have the radio muffs for loud yardwork, and I can also hook up my ipod to those. During tech theatre work, however, I rarely wear hearing protection. I have never really thought about wearing it then either. I should, though.

Although these with gel pads look cool too. Maybe I'll order one of each.
I actually had those before I found the Jackson Safety ones I linked. They worked okay and were comfortable enough, but the band broke before I got much use out of them. The Jackson pair have held up MUCH longer, even after a number of occasions of getting caught and yanked. I think I've had them about 4 or 5 years at this point with almost daily use, and just now starting to have one of the plugs tear--and even then that's actually a consequence of a cat sinking his teeth into it at some point. They've far outlived the MSA pair and a couple other similar ones I tried, so I'd strongly recommend them over anything else.

Last edited:
Just wanted to thank the OP, because of this thread I finally bought hearing protection for myself and got disposable plugs for the volunteers in my theater. Been thinking about it for a while, now it's done.

I thought about it, but I knew someone (see below) else would do it better than I would have at the moment (I was shooting blanks :rolleyes:).

Was this intentionally off color?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back